Do all the deep support sutures used in a body lift eventually dissolve or do they stay in your body forever?

Hi, I just had a body lift and I know the doctor uses both deep and superficial sutures to close the incision. My question is do the deep sutures stay in your body forever (and are the viewable on an x-ray) or do they dissolve eventually? If they dissolve, how long does that take? What are they made out of? Also, if the surface sutures sew an incision together on the skin level (skin to skin), what do the deep sutures sew together? Skin to other tissues?

Sutures in body lift

Thank you for your question. It is better to ask your operating surgeon this question. In my practice we use absorbable sutures and for muscle tightening we use non absorbable. Good luck

SUTURE MATERIAL

I agree with the previous comments. It is better to ask your surgeon, if permanent  sutures were used or absorbable sutures were used in your case.

Body lift eventually dissolve.

We cannot speak for your surgeon, however in our practice the deeper sutures will dissolve as well after a body lift or tummy tuck, unless they are sutures to repair the muscle. Be sure to check with your surgeon.

These may be better questions to ask your surgeon as each surgeon may use different sutures in a procedure. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS