One of my crowns is higher than the others. Can it be filed down? (Photo)

Hi! I just had crowns done for 6 of my bottom teeth. They were severly overlapped and crowded. I'm happy with the result except for the fact that one of the crowns is higher than the rest so it kind of sticks out. It really bugs me. Can that particular crown be filed down just a little bit to make it not look too obvious? Thank you!

Doctor Answers 6

Crown adjustment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it is possible that this crown can be filed down to look more aesthetic. Yu need to be prepared that filing it down may damage the crown and require replacement. 

Dallas Dentist

Shorten one crown that sticks out.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible to shorten the crown depending on how much reduction was done originally.  Ideally the doctor would have reshaped the gingival tissue and or alveolus before making crown so it would look more natural.

The teeth look somewhat overcontoured as well.

Uneven crowns, recontouring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Depending on the amount of porcelain on the top of the tooth, crowns can be adjusted.  If you could go to the dentist that did the crowns, he will most likely will be able to tell you how much adjustment can be made without getting the tooth underneath the crown exposed.


Dr. Maddahi

It depends on the thickness of crown material

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your crown can be filed down as long as you have enough material to do so.  There is a minimum amount of thickness that is required for any crown.  As long as the minimum thickness is met, it can be filed down.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Crown adjustment would depend...#DrSoftTouch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Crowns can be adjusted, but that would depend on how thick the porcelain is in the area that needs to be adjusted. I would recommend following up with the same dentist who placed your crowns. He/she should be able to tell you how much adjustment can be made. I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Crown Filing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Whereas you can file down the crown that is higher, it will look flat since the adjustment cannot take into account other aspects of how your tooth should look. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about how the teeth look in general, a little too Chiclet-y

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.