Can you control how much fat generally is removed by CoolSculpting?

I am about 5'5 and weight around 165lbs. I have been looking into CoolSculpting and I like it better than actually going under the knife. However, I don't want to lose too much fat in my thighs. Would I have a choice with this technique? Also, does this technique reduce visible cellulite and dimpling?

Fat Removal via CoolSculpting

Yes. CoolSculpting is a very controlled procedure that targets a specific amount of excess fat during each treatment session. The size of the handle and head of the CoolSculpting workstation are varied to meet your unique physique and and how much fat you want to remove. On average, there are 4 treatment sites on the stomach and two treatment sites on the flanks or love handles. Most patients will see optimal results with two treatments.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
About 20-25% per tx area

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting

Absolutely. CoolSculpting is a precise, highly effective means of targeting specific areas of excess fat. The procedure is individually tailored to meet the unique aesthetic goals of each patient, so you achieve curves only where you want them! Most patients will need two treatments to see optimal results.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

Yes, your physician/practitioner can strategically place the CoolSculpting system only in the areas you wish to remove fat. In the areas you choose to treat, the fat loss is 25-35%. For cellulite and dimpling we actually prefer to use Cellfina, although most patients experience some skin tightening with CoolSculpting alone.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting results and cellulite effectiveness

With an effective treatment of Coolsculpting, you should expect to see about a 20-25% reduction of a pinched area.  This does depend on how much tissue is drawn into the applicator. 
You may appreciate an improvement in the visible cellulite and dimpling with some fat reduction.  Cellulite is more complex than just volume reduction as there is a lot of uneven tethering within the deep tissue and the deep surface of the skin compounded with the laxity that develops as we age.  I you are looking for non-invasive options to improve the cellulite look, then I would recommend Coolsculpting with a tightening defice such as Profound (microneedling radiofrequency that promotes elastin formation) or Ulthera.

Coolsculpting for Thighs

Coolsculpting is a great technique for getting rid of unwanted fat around the thighs.  There is a special applicator for the inner and outer thighs.  The results are great and doesn't leave lax skin the way that liposuction can do.  Coolsculpting will not help cellulite or dimpling which only Thermage can help with.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

CoolSculpting

Our physicians will listen to the patients needs and wants before performing CoolSculpting. For example, the doctor will first select the area(s) to be treated. If the patient’s goal is to reduce your love handles, the doctor will position the system on your side. Several treatment or dualsculpting can be an option depending on the desired results.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a great treatment for the thighs.  It's also very effective for treating that particular area but we have not found it to reduce cellulite or dimpling.  Best of luck!

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Overlapping Applications are Key

In treating with Coolsculpting, we have learned with experience that multiple overlapping applications give the very best results, very close to liposuction. With the new flat handles, we are able to treat areas like the thighs and arms with great success. The physician can usually estimate the amount of fat that will be eliminated. The technique does not eliminate cellulite but may make it less visible because of reduced tension in the tissues treated.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting treatments lead to permanent fat loss

The issue is how much fat is an a particular area to treat.  This device is doesn't have the ability to treat outside a given area to give a specify contour.  When having a liposuction procedure the area being treated can be blended with other areas.