What should I expect during a consultation for a TT & BA (Mommy Makeover)?

What should I expect during a consultation for a TT & BA (mommy makeover)? What questions should I ask? What generally takes place? Do you receive a quote for pricing? Do you discuss what the patients expectations are? Do you discuss implant sizing? I have read so many stories that a consultation is 10+ mins and all you do is meet the doctor. I have a hard time swallowing a $150 fee for a 10min meet and greet.

What questions to ask for a mommy makeover

Thanks for asking this question. I personally spend a lot of time getting to know my patients and answer their questions. It's important to develop a good relationship between surgeon and patient. Know what your expectations are so you can discuss this with you surgeon. Ask if he's board certified and how many cases he does on an annual basis. Ask if the OR is fully accredited. What are the surgeons post operative protocols? Don't be afraid to make a list of questions and review with the surgeon or nursing staff.

Best of luck to you!

A Mommy Makeover Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon should be individualized and comprehensive.

During a mommy makeover consultation I help you understand that it is only when you combine

•  building back your core muscle tone and strength and
  •  adopting a healthy nutritional and supplement plan  

with

•  possibly non-surgical and
  •  surgical procedures 

that you can effectively reverse the changes to your breasts and body after pregnancy and lactation. Together we will decide the best approach to restoring your body. Often times small collections of unwanted fat can be frozen with Coolsculpting. Because there are excellent noninvasive sculpting devices, many women start their journey by sculpting their arms, back, hip areas, outer and inner thighs with Coolsculpting, which is very effective for exercise, and diet resistant fat deposits that appeared after pregnancy. Other patients may also require some skin tightening with sculpting. I will then discuss the option of treating those areas with a laser treatment like Smart Lipo. I explain how I can perform procedures under local anesthesia to restore your breast shape and size and your tummy shape individually or in combination. I will discuss the typical mommy makeover breast and tummy procedures like breast reduction or breast lift with or without breast implants (Auto Augmentation Mastopexy), body contouring and sculpting with or without minimal to full Tummy tuck. When a patient has nursed sometimes their breasts may look deflated or saggy with lost volume. I will discuss options like breast lifts with or without breast implants. at many women can regain their core strength without the need for surgical intervention. In my practice tummy tucks typically only treat the extra tummy skin that hangs or feels loose. Lastly, some women are also concerned about the distortion of their labia following natural childbirth. Labiaplasty under local anesthsia can sometimes be the answer.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

What to expect at a Consultation for a Mommy Makeover

Mommy makeover is generally two operations combined that involve a Breast procedure and a Tummy procedure.  I personally meet with my patients and obtain a health history and review any medications my patients are taking.  After examination I recommend a breast procedure that will meet the goals of my patient which my be a Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, Breast Reduction or some combination of these. If implants are used we would help size the patient.  Next, the abdomen may be a full or mini tummy tuck.  I discuss the operation, the recovery and answer any questions the patient may have. We do present fees at the conclusion of the consultation.  The length of the appointment depends on the amount of questions and procedures that are discussed which is usually around an hour. Good luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover consultation

Thank you for your question.  Your plastic surgery consultation should be more than a "meet and greet."  Goals and expectations should be addressed.  Different treatment options including their pros and cons should be reviewed.  The surgery, its risks, scar pattern, recovery course and different implant options should be discussed. You should be examined, measured and have the opportunity to try on different implant sizers to assist the implant selection process.  Photos should be taken and costs should be reviewed.  Be sure that you consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over consultation - what to expect

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over consultation.

• First, you should be treated well by both the surgeon and the staff.
  • Second, you should be examined by the surgeon, to discuss your goals and what is reasonable to do. This creates your surgical plan - e.g. tummy tuck and breast implants.
  • Third, photos should be taken.
  • Fourth, you should have a detailed discussion of surgery, risks and recovery - this may be in the exam room, but I do this after the photos in my office so patients are dressed and at ease.
  • Fifth, you should leave with the costs for the planned surgery.
  • Implants may or may not be selected at the consultation - it depends on the time available. You may need to return for a second visit.
  • I do not consider a consultation to be a meet and greet - if you think this is what your visit is, call the office for clarification and if it isn't satisfactor, call other plastic surgeons' offices.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy makeover consultation

You should ask questions about the plastic surgeon's qualifications (if not easily available on his/her website). Be sure to confirm that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery also. Ask to see as many photos and reviews about your specific procedure (mommy makeover) which again should be easy to find on the website. Your surgeon should perform a history and physical looking into your past medical/surgical  history and determine if your expectations are realistic. Then if you are a good surgical candidate you can do sizing of breast implants and likely the patient coordinator will discuss cost/finance with you. Your surgeon may also want to take some photos during the consultation for educational purposes. You should expect to spend at least 30-40 minutes with the doctor during this consultation and 20 minutes with the patient coordinator. Meet with a few different doctors until you find one you are most comfortable with.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Consultation for a mommy makeover.

What should happen at your consultation is a full explanation of the procedures offered, and a complete examination to be certain you are a candidate for the experience. Full disclosure of the cost, and full preparation for care after should also be provided. And at our practice at a plus, consultation is complimentary.

Mommy Makeover Consultation

Our mommy makeover consultations last at least an hour and sometimes longer depending on what areas you want to address.  You will spend a LOT of time with me (around 45 minutes or more).  We review your medical history to makes sure you're a good surgical candidate. I examine you and measure you then show you in a mirror what I see.  After discussing your goals (we talk and review any "wish pics" you bring) I make recommendations for procedures that will help you achieve your goals.  In regards to the breasts, we talk about and you can feel the different types of implants offered (saline, silicone gel, shaped silicone gel aka gummy bear or tear drop, and ideal implant).  We talk about incision placement, placing the implants under or over the muscle and size.  You will try on implant sizers in a bra at the end of the consultation to help determine what size you would like to be.  We will discuss the surgery itself, anesthesia, time off work and expectations during the recovery period.  You will have an opportunity to have ALL your questions answered, although by the end of the consult we have usually answered all your questions before you even need to ask them.  You will receive an exact price quote, be informed about the implant warranties, be informed about financing options and have the opportunity to look at available dates for surgery if you wish.  Remember, not all surgeons charge a consultation fee (we don't) and some surgeons will let you apply the consultation fee to the surgery.  

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

What should I expect during a consultation for a TT & BA

Greetings 

The surgeon is likely to inform you of the following: Tummy Tuck operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 3 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable. 

Breast Augmentation 

own fat tissue of the patient therefore there is no risk of any adverse effects of rejection. The fat tissue obtained from your abdominal area is processed with a special device and enzymes in order to increase the stem cell ratio. Ratio of the stem cells is the most important thing in terms of fat graft survival. Therefore we use a special method called “Cihantimur Fat Transfer” to increase stem cell ratio.

After we increase the stem cell ratio of the fat graft; we deliver this fat tissue from tiny holes without making any incision. Fat transfer feels natural and smooth. Since there is no incision, no one can understand if you had any operation or not. It feels like just a normal breast even when 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Expectations For Plastic Surgery Consult

Thank you very much for your question, it is a common one.

In general, you should expect to be learn about the plastic surgery options, and which ones are best for you in order to achieve your goals, in order to make an informed, confident decision.  For a mommy makeover, with discussions on the best ways to sculpt the torso and shape/augment the breast, that usually takes about an hour (yes, a conversation about expectations is a key component).  With any breast surgery, sizing will be discussed.  Some practices also have 3D computer simulation so you can "try on" the implants (we have the Vectra system). May practices will also have you meet with a patient care coordinator who will go over pricing, and financing options if you are interested in that.  If desired, you can ask for a tour of the office and surgical suite (if the practice has one in their facility).

Your surgeon will likely anticipate many of the important questions, and ask/answer them for you.  The important thing to note is that the consultation is not a one-time event.  If you come up with a question afterward (which is common), you can always contact your surgeon to get an answer afterward.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon