I've been constipated since I've had zeltiq. I'm 5 weeks post zeltiq. How long will this last?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
This is not from coolsculpting
maybe you are taking pain medication?
if so please speak to your dr 
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

There is no known association between constipation and coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for reducing fat in a given area.  Coolsculpting has no effect on gut motility.  If you are constipated for this length of time then please consult a GI doctor to ascertain the cause of the constipation.

I've been constipated since I've had zeltiq. I'm 5 weeks post zeltiq.

Thanks for your question. Coolsculpting is a treatment that works with subcutaneous fat not any internal organs. I would recommend visiting  your primary care physician for an evaluation. Best of luck. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Constipation

It is unlikely that your constipation is due to Coolsculpting.  We have actually never had that complaint before.  We are no where near your intestines and are only treating the fat that is above your abdominal muscles. XO

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting And Constipation Are Unrelated

Hi Rita. Your constipation is not due to the CoolSculpting procedure. You should take stool softeners or laxatives as needed. If it persists then you need to visit your primary care physician for an evaluation. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Constipation and Coolsculpting/Zeltiq

This is not due to the coolsculpting and you should speak to your general physician about treatment options and get a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Constipation after coolsculpting

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. The constipation you are experiencing was not caused by the coolsculpting, per se. Take measures to combat this issue, such as a stool softener, adequate hydration and ambulation.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Constipation after CoolSculpting?

There are no known effects on the gut from CoolSculpting, although indirectly I can certainly see why you might have developed this problem.

If you are having any discomfort from the procedure, you might be moving around less.  If you are stressed by the procedure, you could be eating more 'comfort food."  Both can be constipating.

I ask my patients to resume all activities immediately after the procedure as long as they feel comfortable enough to do so. Physical activity, even with mild discomfort, is not detrimental to the healing process.

I also ask them to consider the benefits of the Mediterranean diet with low gluten and low dairy for weight control, preventing deposition of fat around the abdomen, as well as preventing hypertension, cardiac disease, stroke, certain cancers, and maintaining a healthy immune system. You might want to increase your intake of water or juices from pressed or extracted fruits and vegetables, as well as whole fruits and vegetables which are rich in fiber.  Take a probiotic and magnesium citrate supplement daily until you feel back to normal.  

If this doesn't quickly do the trick, see a gastroenterologist.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD