Constant pain after breast lift; no implants (Photo)

I'm 11 weeks post surgery for a breast lift no implants. 3-4 weeks post surgery I started experiencing sharp pain in my breast. Also, my scars are raised, painful, sensitive. surgery was performed out of state so my ps is not easily accessible. I've reached out my ps and he prescribed ibuprofen 800 but that really never helped. After completing the ibuprofen I'm now using Tylenol 3 which seem to help lessen the pain. Is this normal to experience these symptoms with a breast lift only?

Pain after 11 weeks post op

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well.For your pictures I see that you are doing hypertrofic and that is causing pain to you. A hypertrophic scar is a raised, thick scar at the site of injury. Hypertrophic scars usually occur one to two months after surgery. They grow rapidly for a period of up to six months, then gradually recede over a period of a few years, eventually resulting in a flattened scar.

Incisions that are too tightly closed, or areas of the body which has a lot of tension on the skin, are more susceptible to hypertrophic scarring.

I suggest to contact your plastic surgeon to talk about your concerns and for an evaluation, I also recommend to be proactive  when it comes to helping your incisions heal. There are a lot of options available in scar treatment.

Goos luck :)

Painful scars

From your pictures, it looks like you have some hypertrophic (thick scars) that are likely causing your symptoms of pain.  You need to see a plastic surgeon who can inject the scars with some steroids, which will likely give some relief.  Eventually you would need to have a scar revision.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Hypertrophic scars after breast lift.

Thanks for your question and the photos. I am sorry to hear you are still uncomfortable.  From your photos  you are making Hypertrophic scars. These are not keloids. Hypertrophic scars are within the boundary of the existing scar and become thick and sometimes painful. They are more common in dark skinned patients. In my own practice when I see a scar like this I consider  steroid injections to the scar which can help soften and flatten the scar. Steroid treatment  has Pro's and cons, so you will want to discuss it with your PS.

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift pain?

It is a bit unusual to have pain this far out, but its not completely out of the realm of normal. In order to better assist you in answering this, I would need to get a more thorough history and examine your breast to see where the pain localizes.  There are several possible explanations, scar pain, parynchymal pain (ex. during menses), muscle pain, skin irritation, inflammatory pain from internal sutures..etc.  You are better off making a trip back to see the ps to have him or her examine you more thoroughly.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon