Should I consider getting a chin implant? (Photos)

My cheeks are extremely chubby and round, taking up the most of the space on my face. I have larger eyes, & I've noticed that the bottom half of my face does not have as much going on as the top half, and kind of looks unbalanced. My chin, especially, is almost nonexistent and I can't tell if its receded. I don't have a sharp jawline at all and would prefer more definition and a more extended chin to add length to my overall face. Do I need to do this, and should I pursue fillers or an implant?

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Should I consider getting a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures, using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front of and below the cheeks and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create an elongated, wide, oval shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I would combine liposuction, to reduce the excess fat, for further shaping of the cheeks.A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Hope this helps.

Chin Augmentation

The best way for you to determine if chin augmentation would be beneficial is to have some computer imaging done showing the potential change. In that way you can be the judge of whether it is beneficial or not.

Fillers or chin implant

Hello! It is difficult to tell from your photos but it does not appear that your chin is inadequately projected, and in this case placing an implant can imbalance your features further. Fillers can tweak your proportions and would likely be a better option than surgery for you, especially to minimize the appearance of roundness. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Proper exam and photos needed

Much better set of photos is needed for proper evaluation to even begin. From the ones you have provided, it appears that the chin adequately projects forward but you may mostly lack vertical length (height). This may make one's face shorter and rounder in your case. If your bite is normal on evaluation, vertical lengthening of the bone by a sliding genioplasty is likely to be the procedure of choice. A chin implant is unlikely to increase the vertical length adequately.

Nicholas Nikolov, MD

Chin implant candidate

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about placement of a chin implant.  Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  The implants can also be custom carved according to the patient's unique anatomy.  For more information, diagrams and many before and after results of chin implants, please see the video and the link below

Chin Implant or Filler? No

Thanks for your inquiry. While your cheeks maybe slightly fuller than average, I do not think that your overall facial features or chin demonstrate any significant imbalance. Buccal lipectomy may offer some slimming of the cheek area. If done conservatively and expertly, this may offer you some definition which interests you. In my view, I would not pursue either fillers or chin implants for your lower face. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon