Can a chin implant help me get rid of my round face and cheeks and achieve a longer slimmer face? (photos)

Hi! I have always been very insecure about my face. I have a round face and I have chubby cheeks, I look younger than I am and people play with my Cheeks which makes me feel Bad. I have a weak chin and I want to get a chin implant in the hopes that it will elongate my face, slim it out and make it look longer and not fat. I was also thinking I may need buccal fat removal or something else to help slim my face out. Dr's please help me out, What can I do to achieve my desired looks? Thanks!

Chin implant candidate

A full set of photographs, especially from the side profile are usually required to make a determination about being a candidate for a chin implant. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. Placement of a chin implant will help improve the projection of the chin from the  side profile,  and give a small amount witdh and vertical height. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Buccal fat removal to shape face

There is no doubt that you are a beautiful woman. That said, I think removal of your buccal fat pads could enhance your appearance and give more definition to your face. This added definition could make your face seem less round, which seems to be what you are most concerned about. Without a better photo of your profile, it’s hard to comment on your chin.  The angled photo does suggest that a chin implant would enhance the projection and could help elongate your face.

*Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam which is recommended. 

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Can a chin implant help me get rid of my round face and cheeks and achieve a longer slimmer face?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers, liposuction and/or facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants).  From the photos the front portion, of your cheeks is more flat, there is some excess fat around the cheeks at the chin is weak.  These combine to create a round shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I would add liposuction to reduce excess fat and further shape the cheeks.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin and Cheecks

I cannot comment on what would be best for your chin in that I would need to see a lateral view of your face. As regards to buccal  fat removal I think it is an effective tool that is of course limited by the amount of fat present.

Oval face shape

You have a positive facial shape but the way to achieve a more 'structured' look is to define certain landmarks what we use to visualize the contours. Highlighting the cheekbones closer to the eyes will 'lift' the face length visually; and some definition of the jawline carefully done; will define the other landmarks. Liposculpture does help depending upon how much 'bone structure' you have; easily determined by consultation.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Facial Slimming

Your only really good options for making your face look slimmer is a combination of a vertical lengthening (with some horizontal advancement) genioplasty combined with buccal lipectomies and perioral mound liposuction. To change your facial shape you have to lengthen it a bit as well as provide whatever width reduction is possible.