Is there any change of asymmetry following my breast augmentation given the work I do? (Photo)

I am a diagnostic medical sonographer and I scan right-handed about 99% of the time. Sometimes, I have to exert a lot of pressure on my probe to get good images on patients with large body habitus. Is there any chance my breast implants (500cc, submuscular via inframammary incision) could settle in differently as I "exercise" my right side so much more? Could this result in permanent asymmetry, and if so, is there a way I can avoid this? Any information is greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Avoid pectoralis contraction

Since the implants are most commonly placed under the pectoralis muscle, any exercises that make this muscle contract should be limited for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. This typically occurs with wide grip bench press, push ups with arms placed wide apart and/or using the "pec deck".

Activity affecting implant position

Thank you for the question and accompanying photograph.  If you allow yourself sufficient time to heal from your surgery, I would not expect any of the activity you mentioned to affect implant placement.  Typically I advise patients to avoid all strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks following surgery.  Implants will take up to 3-6 months to completely settle.  I am not advising you to avoid work for a month of course.  Patients usually return to work by a week after surgery.  In your case, within reason the occasional pressure or contact during work should not have a significant impact on your result.  As always, of course, follow the guidance of your surgeon.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Implants settling

It is unlikely that your use of one arm more than the other will cause one implant to settle in sooner or be worse than the other.

Jobs and implant healing

Unlikely assuming you allow your body enough time to heal before exerting energy. Work with your surgeon on this to ensure appropriate healing.

best

David Shifrin, MD

Working after breast augmentation

You should ask your surgeon about this specifically.  He/she will have guidelines for you to follow.  In my practice, I would recommend not exerting a lot of pressure for 6 weeks after surgery.

Breast as

In my experience, both breasts will settle differently and may have nothing to do with hand dominance or type of work. It would be hard for me to believe that the sporadic muscle tension involved in ultrasonic evaluation could hold an implant up over time. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon and certainly wait at least six months post surgery to see if that implant does sneak into the bottom of the pocket as is usually the case. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Asymmetry

if you are using the right hand predominantly and flexing the pec muscle, yes it could make a difference. it depends on the timing of when you went back to work after the surgery and how strenuous it was, this is assuming the implant is under the muscle. the longer you have the implants in place, the less this will matter to implant position. the pocket heals nicely by 3 months after surgery.