Is there a chance that my left breast will drop or have I bottomed out? (photos)

I am 9 weeks post op with 400cc silicone breast implants under the muscle. My left side is still high & my incision isn't in the fold. My nipples are not even. My PS said the top part of my implant may never drop because the bottom has broken through the inner sutures. My left pec muscles are still sore & tight. I'm seeing a massage therapist in hopes the muscle will relax and allow the implant to drop. Have I bottomed out? Is there hope that the top will drop and look more similar to the right?

Is there a chance that my left breast will drop or have I bottomed out?

Thank you for your question.  I would expect that here implants will drop further over the next 3-4 months.  In my experience a final position is not usually present 6 months.  I do think massages help and ask your plastic surgeon about a Bando.

Breast asymmetry

Without your preoperative photographs to compare to, it's hard to know if the postop result is just not a magnification of your existing preoperative asymmetry. In my opinion, it's still early in the postoperative phase, and that some change to implant position can still be expected. Neither of the breast implants look bottomed out to me. Follow up with your plastic surgeon for instructions on what type of bra and if massage may be necessary to help gain more symmetry. Congratulations on your surgery and good luck having an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Asymmetry

You are still very early. Often it takes months for implants to settle down. It would be nice to see your pre op pictures to see if you started out different.  Discuss with your surgeon. 

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Will my breasts even out after augmentation?

Your pictures above show some asymmetry between the breasts.  This is not unusual 9 weeks after surgery.  They will continue to change and may even themselves out if given enough time.  Sometimes, an asymmetry in inframammary fold position is more obvious after augmentation, even though it was present preoperatively.  I can't comment on yours as there are no pre-op pictures. Continued discussions with your plastic surgeon as to whether another procedure or maneuver, such as massage, is necessary is important so that you do not worry needlessly.  Giving it more time is always wise to allow final changes to be present before rushing into any further surgery.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Uneven

To evaluate your results, I would need to see your before pictures. Most women do have some differences between the two breasts. You are still somewhat early in your healing phase. I would discuss any concerns you have with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast agmentation - will my left implant come down?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• Breast implants can settle in place after 9 weeks -
  • Ask your surgeon if you can go bra-less - it often helps implants to settle.
  • If it does not, you may need a revision at six months to release the tissue so it can settle in place.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

It's still early.

Thanks for sharing your concerns. It looks to me like there's no bottoming out now and that one implant is a little higher than the other. I think massage is the way to go and let time heal the tighter side. As far as your nipple asymmetry, I too would appreciate seeing your before photos. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Judging postoperative Breast Results

Without a preop photo there is no way to tell you accurately how you have progressed. One breast appears to be lower than the other but you have to evaluate where you started to judge the outcome. Fold asymmetry is very common in most women.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD