Cellfina: What questions do I need to ask?

Cellfina is a new procedure and I'm eager to get it. I fit the candidate criteria. I assume as with any cosmetic surgery, it is an art that takes practice. How do I qualify a dr? Question I need to ask? I want to make sure I get the best results for my cellulite. There seem to be no doctors in Chicago that preform this procedure, so I'll have to travel - would it be possible to get consult and treatment same day? Fly in and out same/next day? What post treatment restrictions should I expect?

Traveling for Cellfina

As the only plastic surgeon providing Cellfina treatments in a region that encompasses northern Ohio and southern Michigan, I understand that patients often need to travel to get treated. It is important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in performing the procedure. Once you've found a practice that offers Cellfina, ask who specifically performs the treatment, how long it's been offered at the practice, and any other questions you may have about the training and qualifications of the provider. The treatment itself is minimally invasive, and patients who fly in for the procedure can return home on the same day.

Ditch Those Dimples

Cellfina is a great way to "Ditch those Cellulite Dimples". We at Key Laser just did our first cases, a few weeks ago which turned out fantastic, at least upon early followup. How to choose you Doctor, is a great question. I think the answer is based not just on Cellfina alone, but overall experience. I agree that we have only done a few cases of Cellfina, but the experience and knowledge that I brought to those first cases was based on hundreds of cases of body contouring with ThermiTight and laser liposuction. So what you are looking for is the broader experience of the physician you will choose. There is something else, Cellfina is a dimple treatment, not a lifting or tightening procedure, take a look at my recent article, imagine combining tightening and lifting with Thermi250 and Cellfina
Thank you
Dr. Douglas Key

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina is performed under local anesthesia and typically accompanied by a quick recovery with very little pain. The procedure can be done on a fly in fly out basis. Cellfina allows us to release the fibrous bands under the skin responsible for Cellulite. Patients followed over 2 to 3 years have shown a high rate of patient satisfaction with long lasting results.

First have a look at their website to see who is closest.  It is possible to fly in and get treated and fly out.  Depending on the number of releases to be performed that can be timed.  I had a case this past week which I treated 46 areas in about 2 hours.  That is a large number of release but certainly is done with little to no discomfort using the local anesthesia delivery system that comes with Cellfina.  There will be drainage that can be minimized.  The drainage lasted about a day in the patient I am referring to this week.

As one of the first Plastic Surgeons in the USA to acquire Cellfina, I have had substantial experience with this amazing system. This procedure works quite well for the tethered, puckered dimples that we see as cellulite. It is not as good for the trough like depressions that are more likely due to soft tissue irregularities. The procedure itself takes about 1 hour to do. My best. Dr. Gitt

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Candidates for cellulite treatment buttocks and legs in my NYC practice

Not all patients with cellulite indentations of the back of their thighs and buttocks are candidates for Cellfina. Some may have more transverse horizontal creases than cellulite, and the former is not treated by Cellfina. Cellfina is not a non invasive procedure. It is minimally invasive. Local anesthetic and needles are used and bruising and tenderness and even focal numbness can be expected. It is wise to see a doctor first in consultation to determine if the patient is a good candidate and for the patient to learn of the realistic expectations and risks. I would also recommend not flying the day of or after, to allow the areas to settle.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fantastic questions.  We have been using CellFina for about a month now and the results are the real deal.  The first thing is to make sure you are a good candidate.  It works best for isolated dents and grooves as seen in these images vs waviness or to try and correct a lipo deformity.  We are also doing some micro fat grafting simultaneously if needed.  It takes about 1 hour depending on the number of areas treated. It is a bit sore but can return to work the following day or take a day off if you like.  We see a number of patients from out of state.  You should expect some bruising and some local tenderness and some drainage for about 24-48 hours...very minimal pain.  Results are good to excellent and long-lasting.  From utilizing multiple prior surgical and non-surgical approaches I do believe this will end up being the best option for the majority of patients.

All my Best!

Bradley Bengtson, MD

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Cellulite, Vaser Smooth, Thermi RF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Cellulaze, Subcision, Dimpling, Sculpsure, Coolsculpting

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.
It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.
Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.
It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser.
If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.
Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years.
Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure.
It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or
Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to seek multiple consultations prior to determining who is best for you specifically to perform your Cellfina procedure.  It is possible to have evaluation and treatment the same day, however Cellfina can be a time consuming procedure die to the necessity of tumescent anesthesia in all of the areas to be released so you would need to notify your physician this was your intent prior to arriving for your appointment so that they may block the time.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon