Should I get butt implants or BBL? Can I get them custom same as breast implants? (Photo)

I am 24 5'0 tall 113lbs and want to get my breast done and butt but I see a lot of people implants don't go well with their body frame is it a way for the doctor to pick the right size for me and method

BBL or buttock implants

Thank  you for asking about your buttock enlargement.

• If you want a predictable buttock result, you need to have buttock implants.
  • I only recommend a BBL to a patient who wants body contouring liposuction -
  • Instead of discarding the fat, I inject it in hopes of some modeset enlargement.
  • Fat injections into the buttock look fantastic right away, the swelling goes down, the improvement disappears.
  • You may end up with some modest improvement but it is unpredictable.
  • At your consultation, you can discuss with your surgeon the look you want and the sizes available.
  • If you want a custom implant - and it will fit your body - they can be made but the cost is high.
  • The size of buttock implants is limited by what will fit in the muscle of the buttocks.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Butt implants

Dear Fresa,

Thanks for submitting your pictures. First, let me tell you that  BBL or fat injection to the butt is a total waist of your time and your  money, because the fat disappears completely or almost completely in few months or even sooner. I have seen it on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants surgery after their big disappointment from the fat injection surgery that was done by other surgeons (I do not do BBL).  

Think about it this way. If fat injection surgery was consistent and reliable procedure, most women would have preferred it over implants for breasts augmentation. The reality is that breasts augmentation with implants is the number one cosmetic surgery in the US...   Fat injection does not work at all for butt enlargement !

Your best option for butt enlargement is butt implants, because when they are done correctly in expert hands, they are very attractive and natural looking.

You have to realize, though, that not all results are the same, because there are different techniques and different implants. Additionally, experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely to avoid bad result and consequently,  corrective surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of butt implants surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety . Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice 'S' curve, nice hips curve, nice projection and natural look. Also, check the reviews on 'ReaSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports,

Dr Widder

Buttock implants

If you want larger buttocks, then you should go for a consultation. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Buttock implants sizing vs BBL

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:

Regarding buttock augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week, from around the world, that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock implants). 

One of the most important factors in creating the perfect derriere with implants is indeed selecting the right size AND shape. I have found the best way to assure this is to simply measure the actual dimensions of the patient’s buttock cheeks. With these anatomical measurements, I can select an implant that not only significantly augments the buttock but also supplies the correct 3-dimensional enhancement to look as real as possible...even in the most petite patients. Traditionally, teardrop oval implants have a 30+% risk of rotation and thus unnaturally change the buttock shape/appearance when doing so.  However i have recently created and patented a new "Stanton Anatomic" shaped implant that avoids this issue. The benefit of this is the fact that ~80% of women patients have more of an oval shaped buttock cheek than round, thus creating a much more natural and harmonious buttock contour. Thus, the only way for you to know what implant works best is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in this procedure and have him/her take your measurements before selecting an implant and proceeding with surgery. 
The largest stock buttock implant currently available in the USA is a 690cc round implant. For the implant brand i prefer and my Stanton Anatomic Oval implants, the largest is 600cc. Indeed custom implants can be ordered larger, not only at a premium price but at a premium risk for most patients'. Unlike breast implants which are placed under the very expandable tissue of the breast and half of the pectoral major muscle, buttock implants should only be placed under or at least within the largest strongest muscle of the body, the gluteus maximus muscle, which is not nearly as expandable or forgiving. Thus most patients simply do not have a large enough native buttock muscle to fit an implant much over 500 ccs', without leading to significant complication such as wound breakdown/opening &/or implant exposure...necessitating removal. If a patient wants larger implants, 9-12 months after the initial implants have settled in to place and the muscle relaxed/stretched, then a second operation can be performed to replace them (similar to the process of going bigger with breast implants).   

Be aware, the "subfascial" space that is sometimes talked about is not a real potential space to place a buttock implant. It is essentially the same as a subcutaneous pocket (ie on top of the muscle/under the skin and fat layer only) and therefore should be avoided at all costs.

Some of those sought after video-vixen and celeb-types (without mentioning names) with cartoonish bottoms could have either gotten extremely lucky with a huge oversized implant (very unlikely if properly placed under the muscle), had a very large volume of filler injected such as silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, or hydrogel - all NOT recommended because of high risk of severe infections, migration and/or hardening over time,  and even deadly consequences in rare but significant instances (if mistakenly injected into the blood stream); and/or have been genetically "blessed" - although quite unlikely.
I generally do not recommend fat grafting at the same time as placing buttock implants because of a significantly increased risk of infection. For fat to survive it must be grafted into muscle, however that is also where the implant sits. Thus, if fat it injected into the implant or implant pocket then it will die and almost assuredly get infected - necessitating removal of the implant as well. Fat transfer later on must be done very carefully and cautiously, preferably by the original surgeon, for the very same reasons as above. In both instances, the risk/reward ratio is very high (meaning high risk to very low potential reward) because over 80% of the fat is likely to melt away yielding very small gains in augmentation. 
Nonetheless, buttock implants are a proven safe and effective method of buttock augmentation as long as the recommendations of a board certified plastic surgeon specialist are adhered to.
Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Butt Implants

Based on the picture, you appear to be a good candidate for buttock implants, with additional liposuction to shape the lower back (and some of this fat can be grafted to additional fullness).  Yes, surgeons have a variety of implant sizes and shapes at their disposal based on your measurements and surgical goals.  I recommend you consult with several plastic surgeons in your area with buttock implant experience (my preference is to place the implant inside the muscle, although placing the implant on top of the muscle is also acceptable) to discuss your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Buttock Implant

Buttock implant size is based on your measurements and desired look.

The implant is put under the muscle to minimize the chance of feeling the implant and seeing the implant.

The larger the implant the more the risks.

BBL, Butt implant, and liposuction

In order to maximize your results, you should consider getting all three maneuvers performed which will include: 1)butt implant; 2)lipo of all areas surrounding the buttocks; 3)transfer of fat to your lateral buttocks. Please see results below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Buttock augmentation

You will not have a good result with BBL because you do not have enough fat.  A buttock implant would give you a wonderful, long lasting result.  The size of your buttock implant is decided between you and the surgeon at the time of your preoperative exam.  Your surgeon should take your measurements and by that can calculate the optimal dimensions for the implant.  You have a small frame so you cannot get a very large implant without risking complications. Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in buttock implants and has an extensive photo gallery.