Bruises still present after wash out of hematoma (Photo)

Since my BA, I have had two minor hematomas, both surgically evacuated. After the first wash out, the bruising on the affected breast was completely gone when I woke up. The breast was also swollen and painful, which I felt was to be expected. After the second wash out my breast is not swollen at all, I have no pain, and the bruising looks worse. I also woke up with a drain. Is this normal? I feel like only a drain was placed and the breast was not washed out.

Bruising

Your drain will be useful to remove serous fluid which is a normal biproduct of trauma to the tissue. Bruising can show up at the surface many days after bleeding with gravity. You can expect bruising to resolve around 2-3 weeks post op. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about any concerns you have with healing.

All the best

Bruises still present after wash out of hematoma

It's normal to have bruising after a hematoma. The drain will help remove excess fluid/blood. Obviously, your operating surgeon knows best as to exactly what he or she did so best to have a candid discussion so you can alleviate your concerns. Good luck!

Breast augmentation - worried after second hematoma

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am so sorry you have had these unusual hematomas.
  • If you had a second hematoma, you had more blood in the tissues so you will be more bruised.
  • The lack of swelling is good sign.
  • The only person who knows what was done is your surgeon - ask her/him for details -
  • You are likely to find it reassuring.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Normal

After evacuation of hematoma after breast augmentation surgery, it is normal to see bruising that appears to be darker and wide spread.  It takes time for your body to show extravasation of a hematoma from your soft tissue to appear in your skin.
You are well on your way to a great results!
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Bruising, swelling, and a drain after treatment of a hematoma normal?

Thank you for your question and photo.  I'm sorry to hear about your set backs.  When a hematoma occurs one has developed bleeding and an accumulation of blood.  If this is a small amount one's body will break it down and reabsorb it.  If the amount is larger the time and potential risk of letting it resolve is less favorable and the collection is removed (evacuated).  During the process of removal of a hematoma not all blood in the tissues can be removed.  Any residual blood that is in the tissues will resorb by the body.  In addition, depending on the timeframe of the event it may or may not have more swelling and bruising.  I tell my patients to expect some bruising and to also have some swelling as a result of the bleeding and the procedure to correct it.  Sometimes it is beneficial to help improve the recovery to have a drain to help with further evacuation of fluid and blood.  Your surgeon can provide you with more specific information but sounds like what I would expect.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon