Breast reduction. How much would it cost?

Hello, I'm an 18 year old lesbian in Chicago Illinois. I've been thinking about getting my breast removed for about 5 years now. I was wondering how much would it cost?

How much would it cost to get a BR?

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA. 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Breast reduction

Are you looking for a reduction or complete removal of the breasts?  You are best to find a good surgeon first then go from there.

Breast removal

Are you looking for a breast reduction or for removal of almost all of your breast tissue. The cost varies in different ares of the country. Contact a surgeon in your area.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

The cost for breast reduction can depend on available insurance coverage for the procedure. As most tend to be covered, start with a surgeon in your particular plan.

Thanks for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, thedifferent operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, insurance company involvement (if any)… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "B or C cup” and/or  "proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.