Breast reduction

Okay I'm having serious back pain. My bra straps dig into my shoulder and I have horrible neck pain and my breast are extremely heavy. I'm 5'3 am I weight 186 lbs but I do not look it my posture is horrible also . I was told my breast are a size H now and I currently wear 2 bras to keep support . Do you think I qualify for a reduction from my insurance ? Does it seem like is bad for my health ? And what size will be more healthier for my height ?

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, you sound like a wonderful candidate for a breast reduction.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast reduction is a great operation

For women with symptomatic mammary hypertrophy, a breast reduction procedure can be life changing!  The common symptoms of neck pain, back pain, painful grooves in the shoulders from bra straps, infections under and between the breasts, headaches, difficulty finding clothes to fit, difficulty exercising and being ogled and teased all go away after a breast reduction!

Unfortunately, health insurance companies, who used to cover this procedure routinely, now only rarely cover the cost.  That doesn't mean you should not have this procedure performed.  We perform this procedure as an outpatient in our own ambulatory surgery suite and can keep the price quite reasonable, even lower than most deductibles on health insurance policies. 

The breast size after surgery is something you and your surgeon can talk about prior to the procedure.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who performs breast reduction surgery frequently to assure yourself of the best possible result.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon