Breast reduction, 33 y/o, no kids, 5'1 109lbs, 34D - good candidate?

Breast reduction, 33 y/o, no kids, 5'1 109lbs, 34D - am I a good candidate? What can I expect from surgery? What's the lowest cup I could go down to? My posture, lower back, and unwelcome advances have reached their threshold. I work out, have always been under 110lbs (105-109 range). Worried about pain, scarring, losing sensation.

Am I a candidate for breast reduction ?

Thank you for your question , from the information above, sounds like you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction. You should have an inperson consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who will then be able to answer your questions in detail. I see your concerns about pain, scarring and losing sensation, these things are a non issue with Liposuction breast reduction, something you should look into also. Good luck !

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, 33 y/o, no kids.

The satisfaction rate after breast reduction is very high, and insurance coverage is available to most. The type of reduction and eventual size can depend on many factors which do include your individual goals from the procedure. The scar pattern can vary from a short vertical, or the traditional T pattern. There is so much to review so begin with a plastic surgeon in your plan network to begin the discussion.

Evaluating the pros and cons of proceeding with the breast reduction.

For most women breast reduction is a functional procedure. Few women have complaints about the resulting size and shape of the breasts but this is done at the expense of incisions in the resulting scars. Make certain to see plenty of patients in the postoperative phases

Breast Reduction?

Thank you for your question.  Essentially, anybody who feels that their breasts are too big is a candidate for a reduction.  If you meet certain conditions, it may be able to be covered by insurance.  While symptoms often do improve with breast reduction, this cannot be guaranteed.  I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon who will evaluate you, discuss your goals, and review your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Based on the information you provided, you may be a good candidate, but you really need to have a full evaluation by a plastic surgeon. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "B or C cup” and/or “ as small as possible"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people.  

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.