Breast lift with small implant. Worrying about the future.

I m 34 yrs no children I am having a breast lift with small implant in 2 weeks been thinking about this for a long time now I'm getting nervous and I am worried I'm making a mistake I am single I have no children but don't know when I am planning to have any I'm worried that if I ended up having a child in future that it will ruin the results of surgery And that I wasted time&money am I making a mistake doing them now or should I not worry about that now and just see what happens in the future?

Breast lift with small implant

Thank you for your question.  Many young women who come to my office have implants prior to having children and ask the same question.  I tell them that the implant it self will stay in its place, however, your natural breast tissue and skin can change .  It is difficult to know how your breasts will change as everyone is unique.  You can always have a breast lift after you are finished having children.  Some women if they have children, or not, will need a lift eventually due to natural aging .   

Breast surgery and future pregnancy

Thanks for your inquiry and an excellent question.  If my patient plan to have children in the future or are unsure if they plant to have more children,  I spend time explaining the possible effects of pregnancy on the breast.  In particular, you should understand that it is impossible to predict what any pregnancy will do to the aesthetics of the breast and I tell women that in general women that a pregnancy may accelerate the the rate of them desiring a revision for aesthetics.  On the other side, you only live each day of your life one time.  If you feel that breast surgery will help you enjoy life today, then you have to weigh the costs of dollars, scars, pain, recovery, and maintenance against that joy.  Good Luck.  

Surgery timing

The concerns you have are common before elective surgery.  No one can predict the future on how your breasts will react if/when you become pregnant.  It does sound though that you have been contemplating this surgery for a long time and have decided it will be something to make you feel better about yourself today.  

Camille Cash, MD

Lift with implants

It is hard to predict how the breasts will respond to future pregnancy.  The decision to move ahead with surgery is up to you.

Breast lift with implants and considering children in the future

Good question. It sounds like you have been waiting for this for a long time and that you are uncertain as to when you would have a child. It also sounds like you are ready to have your surgery now – and you should. There is no knowing what breast changes, if any, will occur after childbirth. With or without implants changes may occur as a result of the milk coming into the breasts; it has nothing to do with the implants. The milk will stretch you and you might lose some elasticity of your skin. When the milk disappears, some woman stay the same size, or get a little bigger or smaller, and the changes can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this information was helpful.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift - is it a mistake?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and augmentation.
  • Everyone gets nervous before surgery - that is normal.
  • No one can predict the future but in general, breast surgery holds up well during pregnancy.
  • Is it possible after babies that you might want a smaller implant or need a tightening of your lift?
  • All things are possible but you have thought this through
  • This is something you want for yourself now - not done on a wild impulse
  • Go ahead and let go of the worry and enjoy your result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

This is a great question and one that can only be decided and answered by you. There is no way to know exactly how your breast will respond in the future if you decide to have children. Most women experience some extent of breast change during pregnancy that may require another surgery in the future. There is just simply no way to know. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon