I had two surgeries on my left hip when I was six for Legg Calve Perthes disease (insert/remove metal plates). Can the difference in shape affect a surgeon's ability to pull the skin in that area? My nerves were also affected in the procedure. If I get bumped at a certain spot on the hip, I feel a burning sensation go down my thigh and part of it is numb. Therefore I was wondering if I might be at an increased risk for pain during recovery.
Lower Body Lift/Legg Calve Perthes after losing 75 lbs (Photo)
Doctor Answers 1
Lower body lift after childhood Legg Perthes requiring surgery
Thank you for asking about your body lift and previous Legg Perthes surgery.
- The answer, to some extent, may be yes, the skin where you had previous surgery will be tighter.
- However with a body lift, that skin will be lifted up and redistributed and the excess removed.
- An exam is needed to be able to explain what to expect.
- The burning in your thigh may be affected by surgery, again hard to predict.
- If you have increased pain after surgery, it should be fairly easily managed with a nerve block.
- Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.