In a lower body lift, what are "deep sutures" exactly?

I understand what sutures are around the incision line, but what exactly are "deep sutures" that are otherwise used in the surgery? I know these sutures can be used a ways away from the incision line–but why? What is their purpose? Also, what do deep sutures connect? By that I mean they clearly aren't tying external skin to anything? Do they connect the underside of the skin to fascia? To muscle? By "deep" just how far below the skin are they? How long do they last before they dissolve?

Deep sutures

Deep sutures are those used to close the layers of tissue beneath the skin.  In a body lift procedure, sutures are often used to plicate that abdominal wall fascia to improve body contour.  Imagine sewing a corset in at the level of the lining of the abdominal musculature.  Deep sutures are also used to provide the strength in the closure of incision by reapproximating fascia.  In addition, deep sutures may be used in the deep dermis to align the skin for final closure.  

Deep sutures

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deep sutures may refer to sutures holding the superficial fascial system together, which is a layer deep to the skin.

Deep sutures

The "deep" sutures are probably the most important sutures in body contouring surgery. These sutures are placed  about 1/2 an inch below the skin and hold the connective tissue together as you heal. The connective tissue or fascia is the most important part of the anatomy for strength and for scar appearance. Tension that causes the deep sutures to tear will lead to a wide scar in many cases. I hope this helps! Dr. ALDO

Deep sutures

Sutures

Deep sutures are used to repair the deeper layer of your tissues to provide strength to the closure and help the scar heal well. Typically you don't feel them or see them and they dissolve over time 

Sutures