Is there a BMI requirement for getting your breasts done?

Most likely depends

Breast procedures are available for all patients but certain health condition(s) may not make you a surgical candidate.  Too low or too high may increase risk from surgical and anesthesia complications.Best to discuss with a plastic surgeon.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

BMI Requirement

Strictly speaking, there is no BMI requirement for having a breast augmentation. Most women who want the operation done are slender in addition to having small breasts and provided the patient’s nutrition is satisfactory to permit good wound healing, there is no “magic number” to permit a breast augmentation. Of course patients should have adequate nutrition and should be neither morbidly obese nor under weight.

Breast surgery and BMI

It depends what surgery you are thinking of, and whether your BMI is too high or too low,  however all surgery is more complicated and less rewarding with very high BMI. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

BMI

Thank you for your question. Generally, obesity or malnutrition could negatively affect your surgical outcome so your Plastic Surgeon will want to establish that you are healthy before planning surgery. I recommend that you book an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and options.
All the best

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking, it would be best to have a BMI less than 30 in order to optimize aesthetic results and reduce risks for complications.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, it is in patients' best interest to achieve their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing elective breast surgery.  Doing so will increase the safety of the operation and decrease chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently. Although weight loss will not have a direct effect on your breast implants,  significant weight loss may affect the appearance of your breasts in general. 

Generally speaking, significant weight loss can lead to some change in breast tissue (and/or nipple/areola) position;  this “sagging” is called breast ptosis medically. Sometimes, patients who lose weight will have a smaller amount of breast/soft tissue coverage overlying the breast implants; this change in breast anatomy may lead to a greater degree of breast implant palpability and/or rippling.  In these cases, the breasts may also appear smaller.

I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Thank you for your question.  It is really up to the surgeon, so this is something that is best discussed with your doctor before proceeding with breast augmentation.  With that said it is best to have a BMI under 30 before undergoing a breast augmentaiton or any elective cosmetic surgery for that matter.  You risks increase dramatically if your BMI is over 30.  
If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.
Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

First of all thank you for the question.  It is best to have a BMI under 30 before proceeding with an elective surgery for best results.  Higher BMI patients are at a higher risk for complications and infection.  I would suggest having a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.  Best of Luck. 

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

BMI and breast augmentation

High BMI places certain patients at high risk for other body contouring procedures. In the scenario of a breast augmentation alone without a lift, in my practice I do not have a specific requirement. Lower BMI patients typically have a better aesthetic result with breast augmentation.That being said, as long as you have no other medical comorbidities that preclude undergoing anesthesia for the procedure, it can be performed safely.  Certain patients such as smokers and diabetics may be high risk and develop delayed wound healing after surgery. I suggest seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures to evaluate you and discuss your options to help achieve your goals safely and effectively.
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon