Blood inside tape. (photos)

3 days ago I have my BA , my left side looks good but my right side looks different, it has some blood inside the tape he put me and I don't know if it's normal! It hurts just a lilt bit ! Should I call my doctor or is just a normal thing ??

Seepage from Incision

Dear maryoltt, Seepage from an incision is quite normal, but it should not be left opposed to this fresh incision while waiting for your one-week checkup. It is a reasonable thing to call your doctor’s office and at least speak to one of his nurses or medical assistants. They will probably advise you to remove the dressing. Wounds are typically waterproof in 24-48 hours, and in our practice we would allow you to shower and gently was the area with soap and water at this time. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Blood on tape after BA

Thank you for your question and photographs.You should definitely contact your surgeon with any concerns you may have so he can personally examine you. Some bleeding can be normal after a breast augmentation, especially dark blood as it signifies old blood. If you have persistent bleeding/drainage, the breast is larger or warm to touch, or you develop a fever, this may be a sign of infection and you should immediately go see your doctor. I hope this helps!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Blood on dressing?

Thank you for your question. It is quite normal to have a small amount of dark blood on your dressing. However, if you experience persistent bloody drainage or one breast appears significantly larger than the other, you need to be seen by your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery. 

Blood under dressing

A little blood under the dressing or tape over the wound is entirely normal a few days after a BA. I would leave the dressing/tape alone.

Obviously if you have other symptoms such as swelling, pain, inflammation or change is shape of the breast you should contact your surgeon. The picture you show on its own is normal.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Post op

looks very normal.  good luck........................................................................

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Blood inside tape

Thank you for your question and photograph.  It is absolutely normal to see some blood under the steri tape.  Best to contact your plastic surgeon should you be experiencing increased pain, bleeding or swelling.  Best of luck.

Breast augmentation - right side doesn't look right

Thank you for asking about your breast augmenation.
  1. I tell my patients - if you think about calling me, it means CALL ME.
  2. It's my answer to you - things may be fine but only your surgeon knows what /she did 
  3. So pick up the phone and call. 
  4. After all, your surgical fee includes your post-operative care - for a reason - people need post-op care!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Blood on tape after breast augmentation

Yes, it is normal and expected to have some old blood on the tape after breast augmentation.  If you notice any new bleeding then I would recommend contacting your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck to you and thank you for your question!

Chad Robbins, MD

Blood/Steri Strips

A little dried blood under the tape is expected. If you have new bleeding or increasing pain, let your Plastic Surgeon know.
All the  best

A bit of blood on tape after surgery

This is TOTALLY normal. Please do not worry! I usually tell my patients that if there is a little bit of bleeding, I would rather it come out and on the gauze or tape than stay in and cause a hematoma. It does not seem like a huge amount of blood on the tape and did not soak through so I think you are ok. I would definitely mention it to your surgeon at your next visit, though. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon