How big an implant can a person with minor Tubular Breast go?

I was hoping to end up being a size D breast, around 400cc-450cc, but would that be to much on the wound? Or can an experience doctor make it work?

Implant Size Options

Thank you for your question. Much of what will determine your implant size options is related to pre-existing measurements and anatomy. I recommend that you visit with your plastic surgeon for planning and ask them to provide you with a few similar size options to try on. Let them know about your goals and concerns.
All the best

There is no definitive limit on implant size for tubular breasts. The optimal size depends on the breast dimensions and skin quality. An in person examination is the best way to start. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Consider a sizing implant

The size implant your breasts can hold depends much more on your breasts than the experience of the surgeon. How tight your skin is, especially the lower pole of the breast, as well as the width of your breast and chest, will determine how large of an implant can be placed in the pocket. Occasionally, use of a saline sizing implant (an inexpensive disposable implant) will allow the surgeon to determine what implant volume will work best for you and help you achieve your desired look. Best of luck!

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts - choosing the right implant

Thank you for asking about your tuberous breast correction.
  • Choosing the right implant requires an examination -
  • It depends on your chest width, the tissues themselves and the look you want.
  • I suggest you find the right plastic surgeon - one you feel comfortable with - and have measurements and a fitting to decide on your implant.
  • Cup sizes are scientified - so no one can promise you a "D" - but if you bring a bra of the kind you want to fill out, it will help you and your surgeon to choose your implant.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tuberous Breasts?

Without an in person examination, it is impossible to say what will be the appropriate sized implant to fit your breast and frame.  With tubular breasts, a lift is sometimes needed as well to help release constricted tissue and reshape the nipple areola area.  The best thing to do is to go for a few in person consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and see what is recommended.  I hope this helps.

Thank you for the question.  Much will depend on your physical examination; the presence of tuberous/constricted breasts do not necessarily rule out the use of the breast implant sizes you mentioned. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

Generally, patients who start out with constricted/tuberous breasts may need to be more patient when it comes to viewing their final outcomes (after breast augmentation surgery) compared to patients who do not start out with these anatomic findings.  Because the breast implants take time to "settle" into the relatively tight tissues of the lower breast poles, it may take several months (six months or even longer) before the final outcome of the procedure is achieved. In other words, patients undergoing this type of surgery should be aware of the need for patience and time before the lower breast poles "round out".  Also, generally speaking, as the breast implants "settle" into their positions, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound ("perkier").
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for patients with tuberous breasts) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Tuberous breast

A tuberous breast can be a particular challenge.  If the breast has a severe shortage of skin in the lower pole and the gland is deficient than there can be great limitations on the size of the implant that can be reliably placed.  To achieve an implant in the 400+ range in the case of a severe tuberous breast would be difficult.  I normally recommend using a modest size implant that will stretch the lower pole skin and give a great result.  If the patient wishes to proceed with a larger implant after the skin has stretched it might be possible.

Samuel Beran, MD

Lots of variables

To answer your question, it will take a physical exam and carful analysis of your particular anatomy.  You should seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and then develop a relationship with that surgeon through the consultation process that makes you feel comfortable and assured that your goals will be met and the limitations of surgery in that regard.  Cup size and implant size are difficult to predict but with good communication with your surgeon, you should be  able to achieve your goals.

Please keep the community updated on your progress and thanks for your question.