Can asymmetric inframammary fold be evened out while I'm getting my breast implants? Will I need 2 sized implants? (Photos)

Can/should my assymetric inframammary fold be evened out while I'm getting my breast augmentation? Does it appear I will need two different size implants? To be symmetric? The board certified ps said at initial consult he wouldn't be do anything about it but I'm going back for another consult to discuss further? This Vectra photo was done by a different bcps but they scare me from even wanting to have the surgery done. These look awful!

Asymmetric Inframammary Folds

I cannot give you specific advice as an examination would be necessary to adequately assess your situation.  In general, however, the inframammary fold position is important because this will determine the position of the implant.  The bottom of the implant will rest on the fold and if the folds are uneven then the implants will likely be uneven as well.  Some judgement is called for in determine the importance of the asymmetry.  Minimal differences may not be important and may not justify the potential problems associated with lowering the fold so you need to discuss the issue in detail with your surgeon to determine the degree of asymmetry and the pros and cons of adjusting its position.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Every patient has some asymmetry. Your asymmetry is not severe nor is your size difference between the two sides.I suspect the individual who attempted to frighten you was trying in a weird way to promote himself as some sort of "expert" who was uniquely qualified to handle your case which was presented as terribly complex,which it is not.

Find the right surgeon

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon.

Can asymmetric inframammary fold be evened out while I'm getting my breast implants? Will I need 2 sized implants?

In some case, modifying the infra-mammary fold is OK but in other cases, it may lead to more problems in the future. AN in-person evaluation would be the best way to get a proper opinion. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

It is definitely possible to lower an inframammary crease

it is very common to lower an inframammary crease. We often need to lower the crease, when we put in a larger implant in a small breasted woman, who has a small skin envelop, we frequently have to lower the crease so that the implant does not ride high.When i look at your pictures, it looks like your breasts have a similar volume, only that the creases are at different levels. So based on very limited pictures and not seeing you in person (ie this could change if you were seen in person), i would put the same size implants in and just lower the higher inframammary fold.it is very important for you to realize that it is extremely unlikely that your breasts will be exactly the same. WE do our best to make them more even, but there are always differences between the two breasts. it is not uncommon for a woman, to examine herself very c

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon