My areolas aren't proportional to my breasts; will implants cause them to stretch larger? (Photo)

I'm 21 years old and I've been waiting a few years to see if I'd develop more but I haven't. My left breast is smaller and my areolas are large. I want to get implants for fullness and symmetry but I'm wondering if I'd need a nipple reduction as well?

My areolas aren't proportional to my breasts; will implants cause them to stretch larger?

You have excellent breast anatomy and should achieve a very nice result with breast implants.  However breast implants typically do enlarge the areola slightly.  An areola reduction could be done but personally I would avoid the scars associated with an areola reduction.  With the breasts enlarged by implants the areola may be more proportional.

Thank you for your question. Implants will stretch areola and areola reduction can be done to reduce their size, which leaves scar around them. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals

Areolas enlarge with breast Augmentation/implants

Yes, in my experience, the areolas will enlarge with Brest Augmentation when performed with breast implants. 

Areola reduction

Because your skin gets stretched out a bit to accommodate the added volume of the implants, your areolae may also stretch somewhat. It’s difficult to say by how much, though. If you dislike their size then an areola reduction can be performed. 

Breast implants tend to stretch areolas out with time

Hi,

Thank you for your question. I'm afraid that with time, breast implants tend to stretch areolas out. Should you opt to get an areolar reduction at the time of your augmentation, the weight of the implants will eventually stretch them out again too. I typically use a permanent purse string stitch to minimize this, but it has proven not to be strong enough. In your case, I would not recommend areolar reduction. Simply wearing a strong supportive bra 24/7 will help maintain areola size. I hope this tip is helpful.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

IMplants

I assume you mean the areola. The implants will likely cause them to stretch. These can be reduced at the same time.

Areola Stretching

Thank you for your question. Yes, breast augmentation may stretch the areola and result in a larger areola size proportional to your breast. You should discuss the option of areolar reduction with you board-certified plastic surgeon. This incisions of this procedure are hidden around the areola. You should also discuss the size of your implants and how this might affect the end result over time. Good luck with your procedure.  

Breast implants and areola size

Thanks for this question.

This is a common question. Implants will increase the size of your areolae. The amount of stretching depends on your tissue quality.  In your case, the amount of stretching will likely not be to your liking. There are procedures to reduce the size of the areaolae. This will involve a scar around the areola. So you will have to judge what's awsthically better for you, the scars or the areole size.

Areolas will stretch

it is likely that your areolas will stretch with the pressure of implants behind them. You can have them reduced at the same time or delay that procedure after the augmentation so you can see if it really bothers you. Because of the pigmented skin, you may want to consider delaying because the scars may be an issue too. Hope that helps!

Tripti Burt, MD
Plainfield Plastic Surgeon

Wide areolas

From your photos it does appear that your areolas are wide for your overall breast size. Implants tend to stretch them out so you might want to consider a procedure to decrease the size of the areola.

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon