What is the best way to achieve symmetry without enlarging my breasts? (Photo)

I love my smaller sized breast and want both breasts to look similar. What is the optimal way to achieve this without implants and with minimal scarring? I understand they won't be perfectly similar but I would like both breasts to be the same cup and hang more similarly. Currently my larger breasts touches just over an inch lower than my smaller.

Mastopexia & Breast Reduction

Thank you for your photo.

Based on it in my opinion for your left breast a mastopexia surgery without removing any tissue and lollipop scar will be fine and for your right one a breast reduction with removing breast tissue will give you the desired result and will make you happy. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience. Kind Regards and good luck....

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Symmetry adjustment

Hi!  I'm sorry you are facing this issue - I have a lot of women in my practice who are young and beautiful and bothered by just this problem.  If you love your left breast, then the solution is simple.  You need to just have a lift and reduction on the larger side.  (The lift is generally incorporated into almost all reductions).  Some surgeons may be concerned because you have a slightly constricted appearing breast on the right - that's a breast where instead of filling out the lower breast and keeping the nipple pointing forward, the tissue sort of pops up into the top of the breast and displaces the nipple downward.  It's hard to tell from this picture but I suspect that may be an issue for you.  It's not uncommon and most surgeons can correct it easily.The down side of the surgery is that you will have scars around the nipple and on the front of the breast below the nipple, which is pretty standard for any reduction operation.  And of course no symmetry is exact, so you should expect that the reduction will give you good symmetry, but minor differences will likely remain.Find someone board certified in plastic surgery to discuss it with, and someone you are comfortable with and trust to do the surgery.  Best of luck!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

What is the best way to achieve symmetry without enlarging my breasts?

It appears that a small reduction on your right breast would even out the size and better match the left breast that you prefer. Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel trust and feel comfortable. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

If you like your smaller breast, then you will most likely need a small lift and reduction of the larger breast. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Asymmetry Correction

Thank you for your question and photo. You could technically have only a breast reduction on the larger side to match up the size but your Plastic Surgeon will likely suggest a lift/reduction combination so that both areolas and breast shapes can be well-matched. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to be examined and discuss your goals/expectations.
All the best

Improve breast symmetry without changing breast size

Thank you for asking about your breast surgery -
  • Your photos are very helpful.
  • You need a small breast reduction and lift on the larger side
  • And a bresat lift on the smaller side.
  • The best approach in my opinion is the vertical mammoplasty that avoids an incision in the breast crease
  • These are the most problematic scars.
  • You will have a scar around the nipple and from nipple to crease - the skin here is thin and tends to heal with faint and at times truly invisible scars.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Thank you for your question and photograph. I would recommend a breast lift with reduction on your right side and a breast lift alone on your left.  This will help narrow the differences between your breasts while allowing both to have a more youthful appearance.  Hope this helps.

What is the best way to achieve symmetry without enlarging my breasts

The only solution, I am afraid, is to have a small breast lift/reduction on the right and a lift on the left. There will be permanent scars, although they do fade in time

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Lift

Hi and thank you for your question and pictures.  You appear to be a great candidate for a bilateral breast lift with a lollipop incision.  Removing a small amount of breast tissue from the right hand side will give you better symmetry and the lift will give you a lovely overall shape and contour.  Best to meet with a plastic surgeon in person who can examine and discuss your options.  Good Luck!

Achieving same size (cup) breasts without an implant.

Breast lifts for both breasts would be ideal to help achieve the same size and shape.   You would need to have volume removed from your right breast through a breast lift (mastopexy), to make the size similar.  Adding a mastopexy to the left will help to achieve a similar appearance.  See a plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon