Am I a good candidate for finesse rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I love how my nose looks from the front view. But, I feel like sometimes it just looks so masculine. I would ideally like a less austere nose, and one that has a more aesthetic bridge. . I do not wish to change a lot of my nose, but just tiny, tiny, tiny revision of it to be more appealing to me.

Am I a Candidate for Finesse Rhinoplasty?

While I consider all rhinoplasty operations finesse procedures I agree that you need subtle changes to reduce your profile and feminize your nose so it is proportional to your surrounding facial features.

You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty, but ...

you need to be very careful in selecting your surgeon and planning your operation with your surgeon. The top of your nose, where it begins, just below your eyebrows, is very strong. If that part of your nose is not reduced, but your small hump *is* reduced, your profile would resemble a Roman statue, where your profile line slides from your forehead right onto your nose with no break.

For an illustration, see the video link, which has a simulation of how I see changing your nose. As the simulation moves from "before" to "after," note, at the level of the arrow, how I reduced that upper part of your nose. The other small changes to the nose were reducing the bump, narrowing and elevating the tip a tiny amount, and bringing the entire nose a tiny amount closer to your face.

Many plastic surgeons consider lowering that top part of the nose to be impossible, or they don't know how, but in many noses, it's a crucial part of the planning and execution of an excellent rhinoplasty.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a natural result

No one has a perfect nose, and if you look closely almost anyone can benefit from subtle changes to make the nose more appealing or address subtle flaws. I agree that your profile looks a bit more harsh than ideal. A rhinoplasty (open or closed, depending on your surgeon's preference and experience with either technique) with an experienced board-certified surgeon would likely give you the subtle enhancements that you desire. I have found that 3D imaging can be very helpful in your consultation, so that both you and your surgeon can come to a consensus of what would changes would most make you happy. Good luck!

Robert Galiano, MD

Finesse closed rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction

The photographs demonstrate a dorsal hump which can be removed with a closed rhinoplasty approach, whereby all incisions are placed on the inside of the nose. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage, and must be shaved  down in order to remove it. Computer imaging would also be helpful in the education process to see what can be accomplished.  For many examples of closed rhinoplasty,please see link and video below

jbear2727, your nose looks fairly routine but still seek the expertise of an experienced facial plastic specialist. At least 10 years of experience at a minimum. Do your homework and you will be just fine. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for hump removal etc.

Though the main issue with your nose is the hump, you may need other small things done to balance out the hump removal. See a surgeon who does natural noses, is very experienced and does not overdo noses.

Am I a good candidate for finesse rhinoplasty?

The correction you are after should not be a problem. Just explain carefully to the surgeon what is is you want and make sure you choose an experienced surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Candidate for finesse rhinoplasty?

The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a subtle natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

The easy answer to your question, is yes...a subtle procedure can refine your nose.  It would be helpful, though, to see a full face of you.  If you do not want to post a photo, you can e-mail photos to a surgeon or go in for a consultation for complete evaluation.

Finesse rhinoplasty

Minor alterations can be made to your nose to achieve a more feminine appearance.  I recommend seeking out a Board-Certified plastic surgeon who will accurately assess your nose, create a simulation that can show you what your nose COULD look like after surgery, and formulate a plan tailored to your needs.  Good luck!