Am I a candidate for Kybella? (photos)

I have always hated my non existent jawline (I've just turned 36 years old) and only recently heard about Kybella. Is this something that would work for me? Or do I need a more invasive procedure?

Am I a candidate for Kybella?

Hello Lulu80,

Kybella is one of the few treatments that you really need an in person evaluation to determine if you are a candidate.  Kybella is designed to treat isolated fat located in the submental area (double chin area).  If your neck is the result of a low hyoid bone (a bone in the front of the neck that helps determine what kind of an angle your neck creates), excess skin, or fat located behind a muscle in the neck instead of in front of it, then Kybella wouldn't help that.  So the only way to know is with an in person evaluation. 

I hope that helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

You really need an in person consultation

Lulu: It is difficult to tell from photos alone.  An obtuse (greater than 90 degree) neck angle can be due to a lot of things including where your voicebox sits in your neck, excess skin, a lax platysma muscle, a poor jawline or excess fat. You look relatively thin which makes me think you don't have too much fat there but there are thin people that accumulate fat in the submental region for some reason.  You should see a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate whether or not you have excess fat that Kybella could address, or whether you need a neck lift to remove loose skin and tighten the platysma muscle.  I have not been impressed with the results that ThermiTight or iGuide can your money and do surgery if Kybella won't work for you.  In the right person, I have been pleased with Kybella's efficacy. 

Garrett Griffin, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate for Kybella

You appear to still have good skin tone with a fat deposit in the submental area(under the chin). Because of this, I think you would be an excellent candidate for Kybella. After 2-3 treatments, you should see great results with good contraction to the skin which will improve your neckline and contour. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidates for Kybella

Thank you for your question Lulu80. Kybela is the first and thus far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin which also helps with defining the jawline. The ideal candidate has excess fullness in the area, which is due to weight, age, or genetics. Kybella is contraindicated for those who have an infection in the treatment area. Those with medical conditions in the neck such as thyroid abnormalities, difficulty swallowing, and enlarged lymph nodes are cautioned when receiving Kybella. For these reasons it is important to consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Determining If Your are a Candidate for Kybella or Other Neck Treatments

If you’re bothered by submental fullness, or double chin, ask a skilled health care professional about KYBELLA®. In some patients, other treatments might be more effective to improve the jawline angle, including skin tightening devices .

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Kybella or a neck lift?

I would suggest visiting with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss your particular case. Kybella is great to treat excess fat under the chin as long as you have good skin elasticity. Feel free to watch my video to learn more. 

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for Kybella?

If the cause of your submental blunting (the non-existent jawline) is excess submental fat, then you may indeed be a candidate for Kybella. As others have indicated you are going to need to be examined by a qualified Kybella injector to determine if this is the case.

If that is the case, then you do not need a surgical procedure -- Kybella can essentially replicate the results that you get with submental liposuction, without surgery.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is possible to treat the submittal are effectively if your exam reveals fat in the area.  I cannot tell from your photos.  If you flex your neck and tuck your chin a little it maybe easier to see.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I find that vaser/thermiRF combination is better in younger patients to get a more complete neck contouring, however kybella combined with venus legacy or thermage/ultherapy is a great alternative and takes more treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella Candidate

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. It is difficult to assess based on photos alone whether you would be a good candidate or not. Generally, if you can pinch more centrally on the neck than on the outer portion of the neck, that suggests that there is some fatty tissue in the double chin region that can be targeted with Kybella.  I have modified my treatment protocol for patients with just a small amount of fatty tissue in this region, and have seen substantial improvements.   It is important to find an experienced Kybella injector who can also discuss with you alternative neck contouring options, both surgical and nonsurgical.