Am I a candidate for rhinoplasty? (Photo)

My nose is long/wide and slightly points downwards. I hate the way it spreads across my face when I smile and it has no defined shape.

Am I a candidate for rhinoplasty?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examiningyou, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for rhinoplasty?

Many changes are possible with rhinoplasty and one of the best ways to explore the procedure is computer simulation on your photos. In this way you can try out changes and see how they fit with your features. Best luck for your search.

Rhinoplasty candidate

A closed rhinoplasty approach can make the required changes to the nose which include narrowing the tip narrowing the bridge is slightly tilting the tip upwards with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. It's also important to release the depressor septi ligament which pulls the tip down when smiling. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

You will benefit from rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty will definitely benefit your nose.  Details of operation and your realistic expectations will need to be taken up with your plastic surgeon.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Rhinoplasty

You would need to be seen in person either way but the photos really only show one view. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

Thanks for your question. The decision as to whether you should get a rhinoplasty operation can be a difficult one. Generally speaking if you have the proper motivation and clear expectations regarding nasal surgery then you are likely a candidate. I would recommend visiting with a few well trained, expert Rhinoplasty surgeons in your area to discuss your options. Based on your pictures you are likely to get a variety of opinions. In my opinion the strongest reason for you to even consider a nasal surgery would be if there are breathing issues, otherwise there are certainly no obvious cosmetic deformities. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for rhinoplasty

The best place to start is schedule a consultation with an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon who can explore the possibilities with you. Best of luck to you. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can narrow the nose

You seem to have a clear concept of what bothers you about your nose, which is the best starting place for anyone considering rhinoplasty surgery. You will need your nostrils narrowed and the dorsum of your nose and tip augemnted. This can all be done with septal cartilage grafting.
You should see a surgeon who can show you plenty of before and after photos of their patients and someone who offers computer imaging so you can discuss your surgical goals and make sure you and the surgeon are on the same page.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I think you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. You have a nice starting point and there are several things that can be done to further enhance your appearance.

Rhinoplasty Consultation

Yes, you are an excellent candidate to consider a rhinoplasty for nasal enhancement. Please consult with an experienced, reputable Facial Plastic Surgeon with special interest in rhinoplasty for recommendations. 

You may need an open approach rhinoplasty with cartilage grafts to improve your width and support your nasal tip, especially while smiling. Enhanced shapes can be achieve with natural results utilizing suture modification and other nasal surgery techniques for the alar width. Discuss your goals candidly with your physician and select someone that you trust can provide attractive, natural and not overdone results. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon