4 and a half months post rhinoplasty and there's still swelling in certain spots that I thought would go down by now? (Photos)

I'm 4 and a half months post rhinoplasty and I seem to still have asymmetrical swelling. One side of my nose seems nice and smooth and the other seems to have more swelling making that side seem not as refined. I had steroid injections on that side but it didn't seem to help. Is it possible it's not swelling and my nose is stuck like that? There's also swelling (I think) on my tip and it makes my nose and my nostrils seem uneven. I attached pics and circled my concerns.

Doctor Answers 2

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your pictures! To be frank with you, it can take a full year before you know how your nose is going to settle. Swelling after rhinoplasty depends on not only your body's capability to heal, but also on the complexity of the procedure itself and what was done during it.  It is not uncommon to see fluctuating swelling as things begin to settle down.  Usually by 6 months you are 90% of the way done with healing, with the remaining 10% taking the last few months. Hang in there! Remember, when in doubt, feel free to contact your surgeon.  Best of luck!


Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 179 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.