I'm 39 and starting to get very fine nasolabial wrinkles. Would a chemical peel or laser treatment work for now? (Photo)

I also have old acne scars and now noticeable pores on my cheeks and would like a little bit of a face tightening treatment. Not sure if this would require 2 different types of procedures.

Chemical Peels

Hello Verov,

It is recommended to include a combination of treatments to help improve the various issues that each individual experiences in the aging process. I would recommend addressing the skin first. A chemical peel and professional skin care regimen would be an excellent place to start to help with the acne scars, skin tightening and to help minimize the pores. It is recommended to do a series of peels to achieve the best results. I would recommend that you schedule a time with your provider. Best to you, Dr Faraz

I'm 39 and starting to get very fine nasolabial wrinkles. Would a chemical peel or laser treatment work for now?

Hello Verov,

Chemical peels do a great job helping with fine wrinkles and sun damaged skin.  However, yours are developing around the mobile areas of the mouth in the melolabial/nasolabial folds and the marionette lines.  I would not recommend a chemical peel in this area.  You would be better served with the use of a hyaluronic acid based filler (I like Juvederm there but there are many options).  

I'd recommend you consult with one of the core aesthetic physician injectors (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, dermatology).  This way you can learn both about resurfacing as well as injectables to help determine which is right for you.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane or Voluma filler for volume replacement

Chemical peels and laser treatments will not help your nasolabial lines.  Filler will give you the best result. Your face needs to be assessed by a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon since you may need filler such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft in your cheeks first to lift the nasolabial folds and then a thinner filler such as Restylane Silk to fill the lines.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Nasolabial folds

While fillers will be a good way to plump them up, they may not improve the fine lines significantly as those are often very superficial.

The mild nasolabial folds may be treated with an injectable filler. You may have a skin peel or laser treatment at the same time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Fine Lines around the mouth - Fraxel, microneedling, Chemical Peels

There are various ways to improve or reduce the fine lines around the mouth including lasers and chemical peels and microneedling.  With fair skin you can laser or peel at higher strengths.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green