32 years old with severe saggy skin. Is it time for a facelift? Do I have other options? (Photo)

I have severely saggy skin. I eat healthy, take vitamins, stay out of the sun, drink plenty of water and exercise. I don't drink or smoke and never have. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I suspect that is the main reason for my saggy skin. Is it time for a face lift. Do I have other options at all? Could I ever see my face back. I use to model and I can't stand seeing my face like this. I've had some TCA peels and a profraxtional for acne scarring and the this radio frequency laser treatment as well.

Do I need a facelift?

The answer to the question "Do I need a facelift?" is when you look into the mirror and you are not happy with your appearance.  It makes no difference what your age is!

There are many variations of face lifts, but basically it is a tightening of the loose skin of the neck and cheeks with repair of the loose neck muscle and softening of the jowls.  Face lifts can be combined with other procedures such as eyelid lifts, brow lifts, chin implants, skin resurfacing and fat grafts.  Typically, a combination of different procedures is customized for each patient.  Of course, after surgery, maintenance is very important, which would include a good skin care program, Botox, fillers, peels, etc.

Facial rejuvenation needs to take in account the entire face and the desires of each patient.  The goal is a more natural relaxed look, not an artificial or "pulled back" look.  The procedure can be performed as an outpatient and even though the recovery is extended at 2-3 weeks, it is not a painful procedure.  There is considerable bruising and swelling around the face and neck that takes time to resolve.

Based on the limited photos submitted, a facelift would be beneficial.  It would also appear that the chin is receded and a chin implant or chin advancement procedure would be recommended.  Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) are typically on powerful anti-inflammatory medications that interfere with clotting and will need to be discontinued 2 weeks prior to the procedure.  Substitute medications that don't thin the blood can be utilized during this time period.

Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon who performs facial rejuvenation procedures frequently to determine your best course of action.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exceptional case were a 32-year-old might benefit from a facelift.

It's difficult to judge accurately from the photographs but it looks as though redundancy in the gel and neck area could be improved by a facelift or modification thereof. This is very unusual in a 32-year-old

32 years old with severe saggy skin. Is it time for a facelift? Do I have other options?

Non surgical options would be dermal fillers like Voluma or perlane to cheeks and chin. Surgical would be a facelift and chin implant, Even with facelift you will need volume in cheeks-filler or fat.

You have options...

The only issue with your age is that if you fix it now, you'll "want" more in a few years.  It is not the first facelift surgery that's risky, it's the 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever...  There are some small things you can start with.  Chin implant.  Filler for your cheeks.  Your eyes look great!  Part of the issue is the angle of your photo...  Your pics from a few years ago used a filter, full makeup, and you are using your hands/camera angle to pose.  I don't think you've aged as much as those pics would have you believe!  You have some very attractive features so you don't need to do a lot.  Start slow!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

if you are unhappy with how you look, there are options for you.  Face lift is one option, but there are a few different types of face lift.  There are also fillers and there may be other less invasive treatments for your face to improve your skin laxity.  You should discuss all the available options with your surgeon so you can make the decision that is best for you.

Adam L. Basner, MD

Chin Implant to Lift Sagging Skin of the Neck

When I look at patients in order to evaluate their options for rejuvenation of their neck I look at a few areas:

1) General health of the patient
2) Anatomy of neck

I hope that you noticed that I did not mention age as a criteria. We all age at different rates and some may require interventions at earlier ages.Before a patient could be candidate for a procedure , they have to be in great health to undergo surgery.

If a patient is in good health, then I look at the anatomy to guide my recommendations.When looking at your anatomy you have:
1) Excess fat in the neck
2) Excess skin in the neck
3) Poorly defined jawline or weak chin

In reviewing your pictures, I believe you would benefit from a chin implant.  A chin implant would lift the neck skin and help define your jawline.

Options for sagging skin in the neck and a weak chin profile

The photographs demonstrate a weak chin profile, for which a chin implant could help give more projection to the chin and help support the loose skin underneath the chin. A neck lift may also be required at some point. For many examples and more information, see link below

32 years old with severe saggy skin. Is it time for a facelift?

I would start with a few smaller, less invasive procedures first.  Your chin is small.  If you place your finger from your lips straight down, your chin should almost touch your finger.  Yours is behind.  Having a chin implant or fillers will project the chin forward to better balance the lower half of your face. l In addition, your need volume in your cheek area.  Your cheek area is flat.  Having a filler to add volume will benefit you.  Your nasolabial fold lines can also be filled.  When you see the surgeon, discuss all your concerns.

32 Year Old with Sagging Skin

I need to see a full set of pictures as described in my website to evaluate your face. However, it does appear that you you do have loose, lax skin of the neck that may require a neck lift. There are many options that you need to discuss with a physician specializing in fail rejuvenation.

Facelift at 32.

Significant skin laxity and facelift are quite uncommon at your age of just 32 years. Perhaps after major weight loss, though not through normal aging. It is hard to tell just how much laxity your have developed, though for younger individuals, volume is ofte the answer.