3 months post gynecomastia surgery. I haven't really seen a difference (Photo)

So I'm in major concern, I'm 3 months post gynomastia surgery. According to the doctor I had a mild case. He made an incision under the nipple and remove as much fat gland tissues I had. He told me at 3 months the puffiness should down but it hasn't...I shared my concerns with him, now he's saying it should be good by 6 months..I really haven't seen a difference...plz help I spend tons on money thinking this issue was going to be solved.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

I can see your concerns. However, you would really need to be examined in person to see if the puffiness is due to swelling, seroma, or residual gland.  I agree is is adviseable to wait another 3 months before making a final judgement as to the result or considering a revision.  Stay with your surgeon, and it is not unreasonable to seek another consultation if you are not satisfied with things.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Gynecomastia Removal

It is recommended the you wait 3-6 months post op before determining if the result is what you wanted. To be able to help you I would need to see more pictures. You should visit your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

By then if you are still concerned, I have attached a link with guidelines to picking the right plastic surgeon. 

#gynecomastiaremoval
#malebreastreduction
#gynecomastiaremovalpostop

Only your own surgeon can answer this question for you.

Only a physical evaluation can answer that question with certainty.   However there is no harm in waiting it out another 3-6 months.  Touch up can always be undertaken if the puffiness still persisted at that time.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi rion420,
Thanks for the post. I echo the sentiments of my colleagues that with a single oblique post op photo it is difficult to give you accurate advice.  That being said purely based on the photo you have provided one of 3 things can be occuring:
1) Resdidual breast tissue: Would need revision surgery
2) Scar tissue or swelling: Would not necessary need revision surgery
3) Redundant areola: No excess tissue but the areola does not have the tone to tighten. Would need areolar reduction.

I would not recommend performing any revisions until you are at least 6 months post op. At that time you can decide whether to stay with your surgeon or seek a second opinion.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

3 months post gynecomastia surgery. I haven't really seen a difference

Thank you for your photograph and question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  I can see your area of concern, and it is important to be able to see pre surgery procedures to assess the change that has taken place after surgery.  You do have some nipple puffiness which may indicate residual breast tissue, and at three months your healing should be completed.  Voice your concerns with your plastic surgeon or seek a second opinion if they are do not feel that anything needs to be done.   

Gynecomastia

Without looking at your before and after photos it is hard to express an opinion.  If you are unhappy with your surgeon, take a copy of your operative report with you as you seek an in person evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Difficult to assess with photo

Given one photo from one angle without before and afters to compare, it is difficult to say. The puffiness may be from scar tissue and swelling. This could take 6 months to improve. However you can still
have a puffy or redundant areola even if most or all
odntye breast tissue was removed. This may require an areola record reduction at a later date.

Results from gynecomastia surgery

It's hard to give accurate info without seeing your before photos. But I agree with you that most results are complete by 3 months after surgery. getting great results from gynecomastia surgery is harder than it seems so check to see if your surgeon performs it frewquently. Unless you are massaging I wouldn't expect it to change much over the next 3 months. Good luck.

Gynecomastia and nipple

The photo is not great. I would post better photos. Just from that angle, it looks like the areola is puffy.  If it is large, then perhaps if it stays like that then the areola can be reduced, but I would wait a full 6 months from surgery.