2 months post op, do these look normal? (photos)

I am two months post op and I think one breast has dropped but the other one is obviously a little off. Will it change shape and look more like the other one or is it too late? It has been harder and more swollen than the other side from day one. I am hoping that it is still just healing but I am afraid that I am going to need another surgery. Thoughts?

Redo right breast augmentation with mini lift

Dear S,

Thanks for submitting your pictures, though before pictures would have been very helpful. From observing your pictures, you asymmetry consist of larger right breast, larger and ptotic areola and stretch marks. 

You are still early in the healing process, however, I do not believe that things will change much. It will be , though, beneficial for you to wait 2-3 months and do intense implant displacement massage. Eventually you will need the followings to achieve symmetry:

1. Capsulotomy (scar release) to soften up the breast and create a nice upper pole  slope.

2. Reduce the size of right implants.

3. Mini lift (donut, Benneli) of the right side to raise the nipple and reduce the areola as well as remove part of the stretch marks and tighten the skin which will improve on the stretch marks too.

Your best option (financially) is to do it with your surgeon, if he is willing to do it. Otherwise, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of redo breasts augmentation in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

Dr Widder

Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

Give it some time. Too early to worry. Reassess at six months post surgery. It would be helpful to know what your breasts looked like before to assess preexisting asymmetry and give you an even more personalized answer. Make to sure follow up with your plastic surgeon. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

2 months post op, do these look normal

Thank you for your question. It will be helpful to see your pre op pictures. It is not un common both descent at different rates. Please follow instructions from your PS and express your concerns. 

2 months postop

Thank you for your post and photos. Without preoperative photos and therefore without knowing what your anatomy was before surgery, it is impossible to truly evaluate your result. Furthermore, I generally advise patients to wait at LEAST 3 months as this is about the time required for both sides to fully heal and for the implants to drop. Keep in mind that one side might heal or one implant might drop at a different rate than the other. If you notice persistent asymmetry after 6 months, revision surgery might be beneficial. As always, anytime you have a concern it is reasonable to relay this to your surgeon. Good luck!

2 months PostOp, do these look normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I agree with your assessment that your one one implant has not yet fully dropped, which is not uncommon, as differing amounts of tissue swelling will impact the rate at which each side matures.  Allow your results at least a full six months from surgery to mature, and then assess the need for any revision.  Hope this helps.

Assymetry at 2 months.

It is very common for one implant to lag behind the other. In many cases the implant under the dominant side looks higher  longer because the thicker muscle takes longer to give way.  Check in with your PS. Often aggressive massage and stretching can still make a difference. By examining you  your PS will be able to assess if this is a contracture.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, do these look normal?

It may take 3 to 6 months to see the final result. Without seeing your before pictures, it is hard to make an assessment. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Getting Even After Breast Augmentation

You do not provide pre op photographs, so I am uncertain if your breasts were symmetrical before your surgery. Assuming they were, however, it appears that the implants are sitting at two different levels. Your left implant seems in good position, but the one on the right side may be a bit “high”. You might try downward massaging of the right implant to try to stretch and enlarge the pocket so the implant can dropdown a little. If this does not work a revision may be necessary. Good luck.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Two months and one implant has not dropped

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I agree with your assessment - one implant has not settled.
  • I tell my patients to go bra-less after surgery if an implant is not settling in position.
  • I suggest you contact your own surgeon and see if this is ok to do -
  • If the implant does not settle in the next six weeks, you may need a revision but it is too early to know for sure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

2 months post-op, is this normal?

Thanks for your question.  As others have mentioned, you will not realize you final result until about 6 months.  You should address all of your concerns with your surgeon, however.  Best of luck to you. 

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon