10 days post Rhinoplasty is tip too high or is it because of the swelling?? (photos)

I had rhinoplasty the 7th of November it is now day 10th I am taping at night and cast was removed the 14th of Movemener. I feel like the tip is too high and can't stop being concerned about it...

Nose tip too high early 10 days after rhinoplasty

Hello there and thank you so much for your excellent question.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is the position of the nose tip; this may have been discussed with you prior to surgery as some people naturally have or want a higher looking tip whilst others do not or even would be very upset at having such a 'retroussé' tip.

I do not have your preoperative views to hand but I will say that the profile of the nose looks excellent in general; you are at a very early stage following surgery and what you are asking is a very commonly asked question. Whilst the final outcome and profile does depend on precisely what techniques your surgeon employed, it is still the case that the nose tip can appear unnaturally high for several weeks after surgery; in fact it can continue to drop a little up to 3 or even 6 months following surgery so be reassured that it will not stay this high. In the longer term the problem is usually that the nose tip is not high enough rather than too high but as I have stated, it really does depend on precisely which technique was used to secure the position of the nose tip. For some patients it is possible to encourage the tip to drop sooner by very gentle massage and manipulation but you would need to be taught how to do that safely and so it would be a good idea to have a chat with your surgeon in this respect to be sure.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

My very best compliments on your beautiful new nose and hopefully time will make it even better.

kind regards

London Plastic Surgeon

One week after rhinoplasty

at one week out from surgery, swelling will contribute quite a bit to how the tip will look. Best of luck.

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only ten days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nasal tip position

It is far too early to draw conclusions about your tip position. However, it is normal at your stage for the nose to look slightly overrotated, because of swelling and the tape/splint. Over the coming weeks and months the tip often settles down, so do your best not to worry for now. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. At this point, it is hard to determine whether the appearance is due to swelling or not. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness, enlargement or a turned up nasal tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Swelling

At this point, you are still very early out from your surgery, and can expect quite a bit of swelling.  It will take a while for the final shape of your nose to appear.  At this point, continue to follow closely with your doctor and follow their recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Your nose looks great for this stage, but you should feel free to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

As a rule, I like to tell patients that about 70-80% of nasal swelling is gone around 2 weeks, 80-90% of swelling is gone by 2 months, and the remaining swelling goes down gradually over the course of another 10 months or so. 

It generally takes at least one year for the last bit of swelling to disappear; this does not usually bother the patient nor distract from the appearance of the nose. Rather, the elements of the nose seem to have improved “definition” as the last bit of swelling subsides. This is especially true in the tip of the nose, which retains swelling the longest.

So, the bottom line is that the tip will change a little over time. 

Enjoy your results!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from Rhinoplasty: evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. Evaluating the tip position can be particularly difficult in the early stages of healing.

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the very last area to settle down. Keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is tip too high 10 days after rhinoplasty?

Normally, due to swelling, the tip of the nose will appear high 10 days after rhinoplasty.  As the swelling resolves, the tip will drop but it can take 6-12 months for the healing to occur before you have a better idea of what your nose will really look like.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon