What's the difference in injection techniques between Voluma and Sculptra?

I've read that Sculptra is injected deep in the dermis, in the fat layer, is this correct? Could this cause damage to the patient's natural fat layer? If collagen is formed through a scarring process, could these scars show up on the surface of the skin? Is Voluma also injected into the fat later, or is it placed more superficially?

Voluma Versus Sculptra

I use a lot of Voluma and Sculptra and think that both products are great.  The benefit of Sculptra is that it typically lasts twice as long as Voluma.  Both injections are done in the deep dermis.  Voluma gives an immediate lift in one session and you don't have to wait multiple sessions for the volume to  be restored.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Voluma's substance is easily sculpted and the hyaluronic acid helps restore necessary moisture to the skin's structure. It lasts much longer than some of its filler counterparts, delivering results for up to two years. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The consultation will allow you the opportunity to learn more about this comfortable treatment that creates long lasting natural-looking results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Sculptra

Thank you for your question. In our practice we inject a lot of voluma and sculptura both are excellent volumizers but work in quite different ways. As you mention, Sculptra works by causing a scar-like reaction and a build up of collagen. Injection techniques for scupltra have evolved since the product was first introduced in the 1990s. Sculptura is in general injected along the bone in most regions except for the lower cheek where there is no bone. Sculptura should not be injected around the mouth or eyes as this may lead to nodule formation. Sculptura takes many weeks and multiple treatments to get the final, beautiful result. Voluma, is injected in multiple different ways. Voluma is less fussy than Sculptra and the results are instantaneous. Each injector has their own techniques but in general the product is injected on or near the bone much like scupltra. In my opinion, see an injector with experience in both products to help you determine which one is best for your goals. 

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Sculptra & Voluma

Both products are injected in a similar fashion. The difference between them is in the product themselves. Voluma adds volume, filling in creases and wrinkle while Sculptra stimulates collagen production in the treatment area. The right choice for you is really going to depend on your facial anatomy and desired outcome. It definitely requires an in person exam. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and sculptra

As my colleagues have noted, neither product is injected intradermally, or into the skin.  Sculptra is usually injected subcutaneously.  Voluma can be injected into the subcutaneous tissue, though for some applications, it may be desirable to inject it deeper.  I have never seen scarring of the skin from either.  Please keep in mind, that the two products are fundamentally different, and do not readily substitute for each other.  Voluma is a filler that works by filling in a crease or depression or by physically changing a facial contour.  Sculptra is a particle that stimulates collagen growth in a more diffuse, global way.  Consider a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss which may be most appropriate to meet your goals!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and Voluma injections

These are both placed deeply below the skin in most cases. They do not harm fat if they are placed there. Exact location of placement is injector dependent, so it is hard to make a generalized statement. Visualization of both products is possible if placed too superficially. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though each injector will have their own techniques regarding injection based on the correction desired, Voluma is typically placed deeper into the face, just above a patients bone.  Sculptra is placed more superficially in the face, typically the superficial fat layer to promote collagen formation in the skin.  Though closer to the surface, I have never seen it result in a tethered scar, but be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  Hope this helps.