Gynecomastia 4 weeks post-op. Can I play competitive volleyball?

Hello, I am coming up on my 4 week mark and will have my first return to my men's volleyball team (Competitive City Rec). I am our teams main setter, so my arms could be raised over my head quite frequently. I'm not sure if this is too soon to get back on the court, plus there is a tournament following several days after my return? I have minimal bruising/swelling, I can already raise arms over my head, and can stretch with minimal soreness (I'm currently at my 3 week mark, making this post).

Returning to Physical Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Perhaps, this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. 

Post op 4 weeks from gynecomastia

Thanks for your question, I'm sure you put this to your surgeon and you should follow that advice for they know best how much was done at the time of surgery. That being said, most patients with the more typical gynecomastia surgery of chest liposuction and some direct gland excision via the areola could get away with competitive volleyball at a full 4 weeks. If cleared by your surgeon do some good gentle stretching activities the days prior to avoid straining a muscle too much, volleyball can get pretty physical. Best luck to the team for the tourney.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after gynecomastia can vary for each patient depending on the severity and complexity of each case. Generally, my patients are asked to avoid strenuous activity and heavy-lifting or about 4-6 weeks. This decreases risks of complications. However, patients can exercise within 2-4 weeks, focusing on other areas, like the lower extremities. My patients are asked to wear a compression vest or garmet to help minimize swelling and provide support for at least 4 weeks. Consult your plastic surgeon to determine whether or not you are ready for the activity you are wanting to do.

You should clear with your own surgeon

Only your own plastic surgeon knows the degree of your healing from surgery.  Random advice may not apply to your unique situation. Check with your surgeon. 

Vasdev Rai, MD