Is Gynecomastia Skin tightness common around 4-6 weeks?

Hello, I have made several other posts and I am at my 4 week mark...Finally! My main question is, Is it common to have some skin tightness on your chest? I'm not in any real pain, just feels like I'm super tight (basically as if my skin is sucking to my chest). The swelling as come down substantially, and I have been RELIGIOUS about massaging daily (20 mins+ per pec). I would like to know if this is a common feeling around this time frame (week 4)? Will stretching along with massage help?

Your Healing and Recovery 4 Weeks After Gynecomastia Surgery

After #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Tightness after surgery

Scarring is maximum at 6-8 weeks after surgery and usually the area will begin to relax at that time.  Aggressive stretching may put tension on your scar and may widen it.  I'd suggest calling your surgeon for postoperative advice.

Melissa Johnson, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the corrective surgery for gynecomastia. Your description of  tightness sounds quite "normal". Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.