How great is the incidence of botulism post-Botox? Also, I'm Asian & am concerned about heightened sensitivity to drugs, etc.

...does a sensitivity to meds in general predispose a person to sensitivity to Botox? I For example, I cannot tolerate narcotic pain meds at all. In the past, when I've gone to the doc for what I felt was a full-blown illness or infection, I've been told that most people wouldn't have even noticed the symptoms I had. Should I be extra careful when considering Botox and fillers and should I take any extra precautions if I decide to proceed with them? Am I at greater risk for complications?

Getting botulism from cosmetic botox - doesn't happen!

Botox has been around for over 20 years and with proper cosmetic usage by trained professionals such as a dermatologist, there is zero risk of developing botulism. Asians are no more sensitive to botox/fillers than anybody else, and sensitivity or allergy to these products is incredibly rare.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botulism from Botox?

With dose used in cosmetic injections, you can't get botulism from authentic Botox. There is not enough units. This should not be a concern. If it is, try doing just one area and see how you tolerate things.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and general sensitivity

You really need not worry since Botox is injected into the muscle where it is utilized and metabolized locally. the incidence of any side effect of Botox is extremely low and botulism is not a real concern despite the FDA

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and Sensitivity

If you are concerned that you have a sensitivity to medications you should try just one area of Botox first to see if you have any reactions that don't seem typical.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

How great is the incidence of botulism post- Botox? Also, I'm Asian & am concerned about heightened sensitivity to drugs, etc.

Thank you for your question. You will not be exposed to botulism with Botox treatments.You are not at any greater risk with Botox or filler injections. 

best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Incidence of botulism post-Botox? Also, I'm Asian & am concerned about heightened sensitivity

Hi, I have used Botox or one of the other neurotoxins (Xeomon, Dysport) for over 30 years.  Millions of Botox treatments have been performed using Botox and with authentic product, there is a zero chance of getting botulism.  The cases reported of patients getting botulism are associated with bootleg Botox, not the real Botox from Allergan.  Asians are no more sensitive to Botox than anyone else.  Be sure to see an MD that is an experienced Botox provider and beware of a cheap price that's "too good to be true".

Hope this helps.

Botulism and Botox Cosmetic

The concentration of the purified form of Botox Cosmetic is to low to cause botulism unless injected in very high doses.  Per the manufacturer documentation the estimated lethal dose amount that would be 2800 units for 50 % of patients.

Typical treatments are less than 100 units and are thus extremely safe.

Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Botox

Thank you for your question. Botox use is considered to be fairly safe. The lethal dose is far greater than what is typically used for injection. Sensitivity to different medications  is often related to their clearance by the kidney or liver. Botox is not processed in this manner unless it is injected systemically.

Best wishes
Theodore T Nyame M.D.

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician