Getting botulism from cosmetic botox - doesn't happen!
Botox has been around for over 20 years and with proper cosmetic usage by trained professionals such as a dermatologist, there is zero risk of developing botulism. Asians are no more sensitive to botox/fillers than anybody else, and sensitivity or allergy to these products is incredibly rare.
With dose used in cosmetic injections, you can't get botulism from authentic Botox. There is not enough units. This should not be a concern. If it is, try doing just one area and see how you tolerate things.
Botox and general sensitivity
You really need not worry since Botox is injected into the muscle where it is utilized and metabolized locally. the incidence of any side effect of Botox is extremely low and botulism is not a real concern despite the FDA
If you are concerned that you have a sensitivity to medications you should try just one area of Botox first to see if you have any reactions that don't seem typical. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green
How great is the incidence of botulism post- Botox? Also, I'm Asian & am concerned about heightened sensitivity to drugs, etc.
Thank you for your question. You will not be exposed to botulism with Botox treatments.You are not at any greater risk with Botox or filler injections.
Incidence of botulism post-Botox? Also, I'm Asian & am concerned about heightened sensitivity
Hi, I have used Botox or one of the other neurotoxins (Xeomon, Dysport) for over 30 years. Millions of Botox treatments have been performed using Botox and with authentic product, there is a zero chance of getting botulism. The cases reported of patients getting botulism are associated with bootleg Botox, not the real Botox from Allergan. Asians are no more sensitive to Botox than anyone else. Be sure to see an MD that is an experienced Botox provider and beware of a cheap price that's "too good to be true".
Hope this helps.
Botulism and Botox Cosmetic
Thank you for your question.
The concentration of the purified form of Botox Cosmetic is to low to cause botulism unless injected in very high doses. Per the manufacturer documentation the estimated lethal dose amount that would be 2800 units for 50 % of patients.
Typical treatments are less than 100 units and are thus extremely safe.
Thank you for your question. Botox use is considered to be fairly safe. The lethal dose is far greater than what is typically used for injection. Sensitivity to different medications is often related to their clearance by the kidney or liver. Botox is not processed in this manner unless it is injected systemically.
Theodore T Nyame M.D.