I'm 54, with an overhanging belly and I have lost 36 pounds. How do I know if I am a candidate?

You will only know after you consult a plastic surgeon

Just descriptions are not enough to truely determine patient's candidacy for surgery.  Actual consultation and exam is needed. You should consult with a surgeon when you are ready .

Tummy tuck candidate

If you have loose skin, stretch marks of the lower abdomen and a weak abdominal wall (bulge) you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck. If you are continuing to lose weight, you should delay your surgery until you are at a stable body weight. Consult with a plastic surgeon to review your medical history and for a thorough physical examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Candidate for surgery

The only way to determine if you are a good candidate for surgery is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. You need to be of a reasonable weight and BMI and in good health and in the right state of mind for the procedure.   Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

In person exam

Without photos, I can't say for sure what your best treatment options are. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring for a consultation and more details or tummy tuck. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes. M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#drdeanvistnes #realself #tummytuck #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

How do I know if I am a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Congratulations on your weight loss.

It is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children. An abdominoplasty, either a full “tummy tuck” or a shorter incision modified procedure should be delayed until you have finished all of your pregnancies. The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30.

If a member of my family underwent a tummy tuck, it would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. If you are serious about undergoing a procedure, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello vanr62,
Thanks for your question.
From your description, it sounds like you are a candidate for a tummy tuck.
To have a safe surgery, it is important to have any medical conditions under good control by your primary doctor.  Also, you want your weight to be no greater than 30% above your ideal body weight for anesthesia safety.  You need to make sure you have good support at your house for after care issues.  Finally, you should be able to take off at least 2 weeks from work to concentrate on your healing and recovery.
Make sure you consult with a board-certified plastic surgery for your procedure.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - how to know if I am a candidate?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• From your description, you probably are a candidate for surgery.
  • If you are still overweight, your results will be better, the closer you can get to a normal weight.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Given your 34 pound weight loss and "overhanging belly", it sounds like you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

How do I know if I am a candidate for tummy tuck surgery?

Congratulations on the significant weight loss.  Ultimately you will do best seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons can demonstrate lots of experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Candidate for tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to say without photos.  However, if you have excess loose hanging abdominal skin, a stable weight and if you're a non-smoker, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS