Should a lower bleph be performed by an ocuoplastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon?

Sorry if I am not using the correct titles but I am reading different opinions on line. Thanks so much and I am looking in the Richmond Va. area.

Doctor Answers 11

Who to Choose for a Lower Blepharoplasty

As with any surgical procedure, this is the million dollar question.  All plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and oculoplastics are trained in lower blepharoplasty surgery.  It is a very common facial plastic surgery.  Like all plastic surgery procedures choose a doctor based on reputation, experience, and before and after pictures. 
I hope this helps.  

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

What type of surgeon should perform eyelid surgery?

That is a great question.  Oculoplastic, Facial Plastic, and traditional Plastic Surgeons are all by in large trained in eyelid surgery.  What's important to ask is what is the surgeon's experience level and local/national reputation.  Typically oculofacial plastic surgeons perform the most eyelid surgeries as this is a major area of their practice emphasis and they started out as eye surgeons before obtaining additional plastic surgery fellowship training.  This would include both cosmetic and intricate, complex reconstructive eyelid surgeries.  I've been both pleased and disappointed from seeing specific patients operated on by all three of the fields mentioned above, which is why it is important to seek someone with considerable experience that understands your wishes and can clearly define the expected outcome, healing, and results.  There are no guarantees in plastic surgery, so finding someone you both like, respect, and can trust is important so that you are comfortable thought out the healing process.  Revisions are sometimes necessary, so it is a good question to ask a potential surgeon you are thinking of performing your surgery about.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Surgeon for a lower blepharoplasty procedure

A general plastic surgeon, a facial plastic surgeon, and an oculoplastic surgeon can all perform eyelid surgery successfully.  Look for someone who has dedicated a significant component of the practice to the discipline blepharoplasty, performs them often on a weekly basis and gives a natural result.  In our practice, we perform a lower blepharoplasty procedure through a trans-conjunctival approach with the fat  pad removal from the inside of the eyelids.  If there is any excess skin present, then an incision is placed along the lash line on the outside and closed with tissue glue.   We do not use any stitches on the lower lid.  For more information and many examples including our current price list, please see a link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Facial Plastic Surgeons and Eyelid Surgery

You can add Facial Plastic Surgeons to that list -- upper and lower eyelid surgery are the many popular cosmetic procedures that I perform and I'm confident this is the case for most facial plastic surgeons. Look for the AAFPRS (American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery) board-certification designation to insure that your surgeon has the proper pedigree.
There are many fine eyelid surgeons in Richmond, but I recommend Dr. Alan Burke.
Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Eye lid cosmetic surgery

The eyelid surgery can be performed equally well by an oculoplastic or a plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews


They both are well trained in this area so go with whoever you feel most comfortable with once you have researched them and consulted with them.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

Lower blepharoplasty type of surgeon

Thank you for your question. In my opinion the answer should be a surgeon with significant experience performing cosmetic lower eyelid surgery. Both types of surgeons perform the procedure, but you want one experienced and board certified by one of the boards.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Lower lid bleph

There are several specialties which perform lower lid surgery:  oculoplastic, facial plastic, and general plastic.  Within each of these groups you will find some surgeons who perform a lot of cosmetic lower lid surgery and do it well.  While training can insure some level of knowledge of anatomy and disease, it does not guarantee clinical competency.  Oculoplastic surgeons have specialized training in eyelid surgery, so should be very comfortable doing lower lid blephs.  But surgeons from the other specialties may also do excellent lower lid surgery.  You need to consult with a few people and see what they recommend.  It is also helpful to see some before and after photos to see if their results are similar  to what you want to achieve.Also important to see if they do a variety of procedures.  Transconjunctival surgery is considered the standard, as going through the skin only can result in more complications. Do they transpose the fat to fill in the tear trough and prevent hollowing which can occur with if only removing fat?  Do they do fillers/fat to tear trough if you are hollow to start?  So do your homework and find someone you feel comfortable. with. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Oculoplastic Surgeon vs Plastic Surgeon

You ask a very good question and one that is not easy to answer. Oculoplastic Surgeons come out of Ophthalmology training programs and then do fellowship training on surgery of the eyelids and face. Plastic Surgeons come out of general surgery programs and then train in full body plastic surgery that includes eyelid and face. In theory, since an oculoplastic surgeon specializes in the eyelids, it makes sense that they would have more expertise in treating the eyelids. However, In reality, it comes down the experience of the individual surgeon and many general Plastic Surgeons do excellent jobs with blepharoplasty. I would recommend that you use a surgeon with a proven track record and many years of experience. Ask for a referral from Doctors in the area. When you have a consult make sure you have a good experience with the staff and facility. Ask to see before and after photographs of patients that have problems similar to you. Ask what technique the surgeon us going to use and if they are going to use laser or other advanced treatment techniques that can further enhance your experience. Ask if you need skin removal, fat transfers, fat grafting or canthoplasty to enhance your results.  Ask if your surgeon do his treatment in a private certified facility that specializes in cosmetic procedures. Ask if there is a charge for revisions if one would be necessary. Does the Doctors support staff seem knowledgable about the procedure and do they make you feel comfortable?If you are comfortable with the answers to all of the above, then it believe that you can feel confident to choose that person to perform your blepharoplasty.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Lower Blepharoplasty

Thank you for posting your question.  This is a common question that I am asked when patients present to me for a second opinion about their surgery.  The short answer is to choose a surgeon who has a lot of experience in the procedure they are planning to do and someone in whom you feel confident.  At the end of the day, it is your personal gut feeling that is most important.  While oculoplastic surgeons are more eyelid experts, general plastic surgeons may have more experience with other treatments in which you may be interested.  Check out the link below to learn more about the difference between the two fields.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.