My new doctor did approximately 8 very small Botox injections per eye. Is this method OK? (Photo)

My dr only used about 7 units per side because that worked fine with my last treatment (from another dr). However, rather than the usual 3 injections per side, she did approximately 8 very small injections per side. Will this method be effective?

Botox technique for crow's feet

Each doctor has his/her individual techniques for Botox or cosmetic procedures.

That is why I always say, "if you have had a wonderful outcome with one doctor, why switch to another?"

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Different doctors have different techniques for injecting Botox.

Different doctors have different techniques for injecting Botox. If the number of units was the same, the results should be nearly the same too. Sometimes the wrinkles wrap all the way around the eye. We call this a full fan, and sometimes the crows feet wrinkles are only in the upper or lower half of that area. The pattern of wrinkles will usually determine the number of injections you need. However, there are other factors too, such as the concentration of the Botox utilized. A very concentrated Botox will diffuse less and require more injections. Eight injections for the eye though seems a bit much, but there may have been a reason for it. I would advise seeing which result you like best and return to the doctor who gave you the best result. If you do not end up with the results you were expecting, visit your doctor again for a touch-up.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

My doctot did approximately 8 small injections

Since your dr used the same number of units, you should have the same effect.  Doctors use different methods.  In your doctor's hands, this may be  how she gets the best results. If you do not get the desired result, you should consult with her again so she can touch it up.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

My new doctor did approximately 8 very small Botox injections per eye. Is this method OK?

Hi, I have used Botox for over 30 years and different docs use different methods.  I like to use a single needle insertion along the lateral orbital rim injecting as the needle is withdrawn.  

Hope this helps.

Botox and Crows Feet

If the same units were used it should work the same however, if they are spread out too much it may not.  I sometimes do this type of method because it gives a more natural look, but sometimes I will do a single injections and then "smash" the botox down .  It all depends on the persons initial starting point.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox around the Eyes

Since the same amount of Botox was injected it should theoretically have a similar result.  I am unsure why someone would give so many injections as this can increase the risk of bruising and other side effects.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox Around the Eyes

Thank you for your question and sharing your photos.  You should have the same effect with your new physician injector.

While there are various methods and styles of injecting a neuromodulator (#Botox, #Dysport, #Xeomin), there is no advantage of injecting in 8 locations vs. 3 locations around the lateral portion of the eye.  With the FDA approved mixture of Botox (2.5 ml of a sterile saline solution), each injected area will have an effect of approximately 1.25 cm diameter beyond the area injected.  Research has shown that 12 units per side of the eye is the ideal average amount of Botox to allow the maximum effect for the longest period of time.  However, each patient has different muscle strength.  If 7 units per side is working for you, there is no reason to increase the amount of Botox for you.  The possible side effect of a greater number of injections is the greater risk of bruising. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#neuromodulator, #crowsfeet, #wrinkles, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Though your results will likely be equivalent, oftentimes no more than 8 injections are typically used for both eyes to treat crow's feet.  I would be concerned that more injections only increases bruising risks.  Hope this helps.

More injections per area of Botox

It is very acceptable to use more injection points per area with smaller volumes.  Everyone's method of administering botox is a little different, so I encourage you to give it 7-14 days to see if you like the results, and I'm sure you will if the same units were used and placed in similar locations.  

Jacquelyn Dosal, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello mmmog,

If you had a good response with 7 units before then you should have a similar response this time.  By spreading out the injections you can try to affect a larger area of the muscle.  Single large volume injections minimize the risk of bruising with fewer sticks, but it can increase the risk of spreading the Botox where you don't want it to go (in my opinion).  For 7 units using 8 injections seems like a lot of injections.  And unless it was very dilute Botox, with 7 units you would not have a large volume injection. I usually use between 3-5 injections spots and like to start with at least 10 units to get the results my patients want.  

You should see the results in about 7-10 days and if you don't have the results you wanted, or are more bruised than normal, you may consider letting your injector know or go back to your other injector.  I would imagine you will have a similar response to your previous treatment, though.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon