Is a tummy tuck the only option to get rid of my "belly"? (photo)

I have had 3 children - twins 10 years ago and a single baby 7 years ago. Whilst I have lost all of my baby weight, plus extra, I just cannot get rid of my "tummy". I have tried every diet and exercise regime going but my stomach just hangs. It's making me feel so depressed. If I lie on my side it just flops over to that side. Also my skin seems to have no elasticity.

Given your concerns, previous pregnancies, and loss of skin elasticity, I agree that abdominoplasty may be best-suited for you to achieve your goals. Liposuction depends on skin retraction post-operatively to improve contour after removing excess subcutaneous (fatty) tissue. If skin has lost elasticity (which is common after pregnancies or significant weight loss), liposuction is not recommended since it will likely result in incomplete retraction and significant skin redundancy.

Abdominoplasty addresses the rectus diastasis (muscle separation in the midline that commonly results following pregnancies, likely to a greater degree after twins) by suturing the rectus muscles back together to reinforce core strength. It also removes excess skin and soft tissue through an incision along the lower abdomen from hip to hip, which improves abdominal contour. I recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine whether you are a good candidate for abdominoplasty based on a complete medical history and clinical examination.

Best, Stephanie Power MD, MSc, FRCSC

Loose abdomen

Thank you for your pictures and question. I believe that a tummy tuck including liposuction and tightening your muscles will improve your appearance. Make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Tummy tuck after twins

Pregnancy, especially twin pregnancies, can stretch the abdominal wall muscles creating a sagging appearance.    The only way to address these issues is with a tummy tuck procedure.  A tummy tuck removes the loose skin and contours your tummy to re-create a more youthful and toned appearance. It also tightens the abdominal wall and enhances the hip line by repairing separation of abs muscles that usually follows pregnancies.    That said there is no substitute for a formal consultation with a fully qualified plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck with twins

My wife and I also recently how twins so I feel your pain/joy. Good work on losing the excess weight following pregnancy. I see a lot of twin mothers in my practice with similar complaints and typically a tummy tuck is your best option. The excess strain on your abdominal muscles cause them to stretch and a tummy tuck is the only way to reposition and tighten your abdomen. Excess skin will be removed in addition to tightening the muscle. You will likely end up with a vertical scar from the belly button opening but this would be better determined during an in-person exam and consultation. Best of luck

Mother of Twins --you have EARNED a tummy tuck!

Hello! Any mother of twins has earned the right to a tummy tuck I think!
You have done all you can do, but the skin will not shrink back any more, so the tummy tuck is the correct conclusion. And this operation helps tighten your core muscle area too- that was stretched out with the twins too- many patients feel they have less back pain and improvement in other things too- like posture and even continence!
So, the best thing to do is schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Good luck!

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, lipo or Coolsculpting

These are possible options for someone that is plagued by abdominal tissue. Coolsculpting is best for someone that has pinchable fat but fairly good quality skin and little overhang. This is non-invasive and can be successful with multiple treatments. Liposuction can also be a good option for someone in this same category. The real difference is for someone that has fatty tissue, poor quality skin and tissue overhang.  This patient is a better tummy tuck candidate. The abdominal muscles can be fixed after having children and the excess tissue can be removed.  It would be best to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to help with this decision.  Best to you.

I think you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck. After having twins, I'm sure your babies stretched your muscles and skin out a bit!. A diastasis repair involves tightening the muscles. It's done by performing a type of "internal corset" with suture. This is going to cinch in your waist and give you more of that hourglass shape you lost during pregnancy. Liposuction will contour your figure and the extra skin will be excised and tailored to your new shape.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

H there. The lack of progress despite all the exercise and measures you have been taking must be very frustrating - it is usually a feature of the general muscle stretch following multiple pregnancies. The good news is that a tummy tuck is excellent in these situations - removing the excess tissue and delivering a contoured and firm abdominal wall with a relatively inconspicuous scar. Good luck!

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. You are a candidate for liposuction and tummy tuck procedures.

Aramis Vega, MD

Is a tummy tuck the only option to get rid of my "belly"?

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction and with or without abdominal muscle repair. They produce different degrees of improvement.

No matter which procedure that you decide to undergo, it is advisable that you should wait until you are finished having children.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon