Will it hurt to have my external cast removed? (Photo)

I'm such a wuss, I'm surprised at putting myself through this whole thing. I'm reading conflicting experiences about having the cast removed. I've got no internal splints or packing, just external cast. Will it hurt?!

Cast removal

I think for most people it is a weird sensation rather than pain. It is usually tolerated quite well.

Removing the cast - rhinoplasty

Hi there. It is generally well tolerated - there are often simples manoeuvres that experienced dressing clinic nurses and surgeons can do to ease the process.

Does it hurt to have the rhinoplasty splint removed?

Generally speaking, having the external splint and tape removed during your postoperative rhinoplasty visit is not a very painful process.  

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does it hurt to have your external nasal cast removed?

Hi glc212,It's perfectly normal to be apprehensive, but the pain or soreness that you've experienced from the rest of your surgery should really be a lot more than the pain or discomfort you get from removal of the splint. Sometimes it is on there with a sticky material, but as long as your surgeon takes his or her time, it will come off with minimal discomfort.
Good luck!Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon