Inadequate breast expansion - needed bigger TEs?

I'm asking in a different way since I got no response last time. I had a skin sparing - no radiation. I am in the middle of delayed implant reconstruction. Unfortunately during myI exchange I got larger TEs. My surgeon was not happy with the way I expanded. Said something about adhesions especially in upper area and an implant wouldn't look right. I appreciate him doing the right thing. I'm a reader and can't find any instances of this. I want to better understand. No hint this was possible.

Without knowing more about your history, and how you looked, it is very hard to comment.  I have had to go in on a patient that was not my original patient who had TE's in for a long time and never had implants placed. She required further expansion with different TE's two achieve her goal before implant exchange.

Breast Expanders

Your question is hard to answer without photos. You need to discuss further with your surgeon to better understand why he/she was not willing to place an implant at the time of the exchange. Best wishes.

Larger tissue expanders during exchange

Difficult to comment without photos. Delayed reconstruction is easier in non radiated tissue and upper pole fullness can be addressed with fat grafting.  Recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Yegiyants

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Hello ringelle,Thank you for your question, but it is difficult to give good advice without photos and a knowledge of the type and volume of expanders. In general, I use short-height expanders in my patients, because I am less concerned with stretching/adhesions in the upper pole.  My focus is expanding the portion of your breast from just above your nipple down, and then the eventual implant will fill in the upper and upper/outer portion.  I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon as I am sure you are in good hands. 

Hunter Moyer, MD