I need a lift. How much volume can I expect to lose with a lift? I would like to keep my breasts fairly large. (photos)

I am currently a 38F and would like to have perky, round (fake looking) full DDs or small DDDs if possible. I know that I stand to lose some volume with a lift since I'm so saggy, but how much? I have never seen the round implant-like shape achieved with a lift alone. Would some low profile implants help me to accomplish this look? Also what are the benefits to getting implants under the muscle as opposed to over the muscle?

Round perky breasts post breast lift

Hi - it is difficult to get long lasting upper pole fullness with just a breast lift alone - from your pictures I would recommend that you have both a lift and an implant which is done with a single surgery. With a lift alone you may initially get a nice full upper pole but in time this always drops.  This observation is confirmed by several scientific studies. Going under the muscle gives you a more natural look, disguises the implants more and can help fill out the upper pole.  Good luck

Volume Loss After Breast Lift?

It's difficult to say exactly how much volume you'll lose, but about "a cup size" has been thrown around. There are plastic surgeons who can give you a look close to an implant by "auto-augmenting" your breast with your own tissue. An implant can always be added later if the oomph or fake look you're seeking wasn't achieved. Under the muscle decreases the chance of seeing or feeling the edges of implant beneath thinned skin and in some studies, reduces the risk of capsular contracture. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Breast reduction

You need a bit of a breast reduction in order for the lift to be performed to maintain a good shape.  Best of luck.

Lift Augmentation

The goal of a mastopexy (breast lift) or mastopexy augmentation (breast lift – augmentation) is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point. A breast lift alone is appropriate for patients with breasts that are adequately sized but saggy. The lift can also, howevever, be done in combination with an implant to add volume (breast lift – augmentation) or extra perkiness.

The type of lift is determined by your current nipple position and the quality of your tisssue. The size, shape, and position of the implants is based on your anatomy, the type and size of the implant, and your goals.

See the link below for more info on breast augmentation.

Based on your photos and your bra size, you still have a decent amount of volume after your weight loss. A small augmentation in the 200ml to 300ml range combined with a lift or small reduction will help make the breasts more perky and give you that rounded upper breast fullness that is desireable.

See the link below for more info on breast augmentation and breast lifts.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Breast lift

Thank you for your questions and I hope all is well. You have great insight into breastblift surgery. You have a few options to give you a nice rounded look. A breast lift can give that type of look generally. However, if you want a true round cleavage, get back some volume loss with the lift (which isn't much) and fake look then a small implant placed in the cleavage area or liposuction fat transfer added to the cleavage will be best. I would seek a bc plastic surgeon breast expert who can provide you with those options. Best wishes.

Volume loss after a mastopexy

In reality, you lose almost no volume with a mastopexy. Often a small amount of skin is resected. What is more important, is that the breast will visually appear quite a bit smaller. Because of this, and the desire for upper pole fullness, many women choose to combine this with breast augmentation. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon to help you get a good idea of what you can expect with this surgery, and how much additional volume you might choose to get.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Procedure Details

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy.  This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy.  The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift.  If good technique is used, this can result in a nice lift with round shape.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Volume loss post lift

Generally speaking it is said that when you do a lift you will lose about a cup size.There was a study done a while back.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon