I had a BA and lift 2 weeks ago.

I called my PS ffice to ask about massaging. The nurse proceeded to tell me it was no longer recommended. Everthing I have read says to do them, what is the correct answer?

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your question with us.  In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.  Kind regards

Massaging can be helpful for certain implants, but not all. Please follow your surgeon's post operative instructions since he/she knows what kind of implants you have.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Not all surgeons recommend massage after surgery. It is best to discuss this directly with your surgeon.

Massage after breast augmentation

While massage was universally accepted with a smooth walled implant placed over the muscle, it's overall benefit with an implant placed below the muscle, especially if textured has come into question in recent times. The newer, aggressively textured implants, are meant to resist movement of the implant in the pocket by creating some frictional resistance or even in some cases actual adherence to the overlying capsule. Each surgeon, will have their own thoughts as to the merits massage in your plastic surgeon, who knows what surgery was done, is your best resource. Congratulations on your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS