Round ball for a nose, hate side profile; what do I do? (Photos)

just odd.. looking from the side.. no base ... it used to be more of a pug.. but it seems longer with age.. but the ball remains...

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Howsabout some better photos?

Yes, it does appear that the cartilages that form the tip of your nose are wide, and they give the impression of a ball on the end. It's possible to improve that with rhinoplasty.

I usually make a computer morph when I'm answering questions like this, but your photos aren't good enough to make a morph out of! Sorry. See the "Web reference" link, just below my post. At the *very* bottom of that page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

Bulbous or round tip can be made to appear fine with tip plasty. The cartilages underneath can be narrowed leading to a narrower and less bulbous tip.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Round ball nose

Rhinoplasty could be considered to reshape your tip cartilages.   I would suggest seeing a rhinoplasty expect who can show you morphed photos.   Good luck! 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear Cheri,

Thanks for your pictures. Best pictures are front, side and sub nasal. In any event,  rhinoplasty should do for you what you are looking for - refined tip and harmoniously balanced nose.

Consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of rhinoplasty surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety . most importantly, check the before and after pictures, to make sure that the surgeon is able to deliver attractive results.

Dr Widder

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for Rhinoplasty to find one who is board certified and specialized in Rhinoplasty to obtain the best results possible. The tip of your nose appears enlarged and bulbous. You would benefit from a tip Rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it more pleasing.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Round ball for a nose, hate side profile; what do I do?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about refining and improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for the bulbous tip

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish reduction of the bulbous tip.  This is accomplished by suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip.  For more information, diagrams, and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Thank you for your question. As an artist I like using the reshaping technique when performing Rhinoplasties. Using advanced suturing techniques I can change the nasal cartilages giving you a thinner, more refined natural looking nose. I like to find out from the patient what they don't like about their nose and what their goals are. I then examine the nose and I write up a detailed operative plan. I incorporate the FINESSE technique which I invented. Bleeding, bruising and postoperative pain is minimal when compared to traditional techniques and recovery is quicker. I don't routinely pack the nose. It's not uncommon that some patients have no bruising after surgery. I hope you find this information useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA