Can Tuberous breast be corrected through crease incision? (photos)

I'm 90% sure I have tuberous breasts. I am unhappy with the size and shape. I am currently about a 36 b, and would like to be a D. I also want them rounded out. I do have puffy areolae when not erect but that doesn't bother me. I want silicone implants. I would VERY much prefer not to have a lift or cuts around my areola. Can the shape be corrected with a inframmary crease incision?
Please see follow up question, here.

Augmentation for tuberous breasts

An incision in the inframammary crease is a reasonable approach to address your concerns.  The tight tissues along the lower part of the breast gland are released prior to the placement of the implant.  This release allows the breast to better assume its new shape.  If you need a lift at some point, you would need a periareolar incision then--- just something else to consider!  The main thing is to find a plastic surgeon who is board-certified, and can provide the result you are looking for.  Best regards,
-Erik Hoy, M.D.

Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Correction of tuberous breasts

Your question is a very good one.   Tuberous breasts usually have a combination of issues - a tight lower pole and a puffy areola are very common, as is breast asymmetry.  Using only a inframammary incision will allow breast implants to be placed (increasing your breast size) and allow for work to be done on the lower part of the breast tissue to help stretch it and round out the bottom portion of the breast.  However, the breast areola asymmetry, nipple areolar complex position asymmetry, puffiness, and asymmetric ptosis (droopiness) of the breasts will not be fully corrected wtih only this approach.  It all depends on what your expectations are for a "correction".   I would advise you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who commonly does cosmetic breast implant surgery for a consultation to discuss options.  I find that the Vectra 3D imaging technology really helps patients understand the challenges with surgery and what the best options will be. 

Dr. Michelle Spring

Breast augmentation

You more than likely need breast augmentation and a small lift of the areola. Best of luck, but an exam is key to properly assess your situation.

Tuberous breasts options

A tuberous breast has as narrow base diameter with an enlarged areola so these type of breasts are often repaired with an augmentation mastopexy, reducing the areola at the same time.  If the size of the areola is not a concern to you then a breast augmentation via in IMF incision will allow access to the breast pocket and the ability to release the breast tissue so that it will splay out over the implant.  In your case you will still have some asymmetry but it will be better. 

Tuberous Breast

Thank you for your inquiry on breast augmentation.
Yes, tuberous breasts can be corrected with a crease incision. It is a little more difficult because the angle is awkward. Be sure to discuss the pros and cons of the two approaches with your surgeon. The incision around the areolae usually does not show – but if you definitely do not want it, do not have it done that way.

Best Wishes.

Tuberous breast surgery

The standard surgery to correct a tuberous breast deformity is an augmentation mastopexy.  This involves an incision around the areola which serves a few purpose.  When you have a tuberous breast deformity in which constriction in the breast cause tissue to herniate through the areola, the areolas increase in size.  An incision around the areola allows us to reduce the size of the areola.  It also provides access to insert an implant and make cuts on the inside of the breast to release the constriction.

If you are only interested in having implants placed through an incision in your fold, as long as your understand the limitations of this approach in treating your condition, it could be performed.  Such an approach is not ideal in treating your condition, but could lead to some improvement in the cosmetic appearance of your breasts.  It is important to remember that augmentation alone does not really change breast shape, it just makes your exists breasts larger.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation in the tuberous breast

Yes, I often perform the surgery you are describing.  If the puffiness or size of your areola bothered you, then it would be best to perform the surgery with a periareolar incision, but it doesn't and so an inframmary crease incision should be able to provide what you are asking for. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon with a special interest in breast that you feel comfortable communicating with. I wish you the best of luck!

Melinda Haws, MD

Tuberous or constricted breast can be corrected by breast augmentation to the infra mammary fold.

By making in infra mammary incision a breast augmentation in a sub glandular position can be performed. The base of the breast will be surgically released and draped over the breast implant so the breast eventually assumes the diameter of the prosthesis.

Correction of breast asymmetry with one tubular breast

Thank you for your question.  Your surgery can be performed through an inframammary crease incision however to achieve symmetry you definitely will need a lift at least on the right side.

Because of the asymmetry and the shape of your breast specialized techniques to release the constricting bands on the right side will be necessary.

You canhave breast implants without a lift but you will continue to have a very significant asymmetry.  Please consult an expert board certified plastic surgeon.

For more information on breast asymmetry please read the following link:

Concerned about incisions

Thank you for the pictures. Unfortunately you're going to have to have some incisions around your areola or small lift to improve your breast shape to its maximum. If you have just crease incision and implants your results would be unsatisfactory. Good luck.