Is Restylane a good idea for my under eye hollowness? (photos)

im 19 years old and my under eyes have looked this way since i was little. its very depressing and i look tired ALL of the time. makeup just seems to make them more noticable so i dont bother. theyve gotten worse when i was around 16-17 when i was in high school. would restylane be a good under eye filler to get rid of the hollowness?

Lower lid bags and hollows in a teen

Dear cmarie26:

Thanks for sharing your photos! Restylane is an option but it is best to obtain a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons evaluation to determine what is best. Please understand that at you age, you will need a parent or guardian adult with you for any examination or therapy.

There are several concerns I pick up on based on the limited photos.
  • You may have deep set orbital bones which do not provide the structure to hide the perceived hollowness and lower eyelid bulges.
  • Lower eyelid fat prominence
  • mild cheek soft-tissue descent

Options include:
1. Fillers as you have mentioned.
  • Restylane provides a nice filling option but in many patients, Restylane, typically used in the dermal layer of the skin particularly under the eyes causes a undesired swelling or puffiness rather than a gentle, smoothening and filling effect.
  • My preference depending on the findings at examination would include:
  • Radiesse to build up the bone
  • Deeper layered Lyft or Voluma to provide better projection of the underlying tissues with a camouflaging effect to the eyelids
2. While surgery is an option, I believe this would be premature for you without proper evaluation and considerable education regarding the alternatives, risks, limitations and complications. 

I hope this is helpful. All the best to you!

Is Restylane a good idea for my under eye hollowness?

I prefer Restylane Silk injections tio tear trough deformities. seek in person consultants... .......

Tear Trough Correction

Restylane is a very good option to correct tear troughs and under eye hollows.  In my practice, I prefer Belotero.  Belotero is a hyaluronic acid based filler similiar to Restylane, but I feel it is better suited to inject under the thin skin of the lower eyelid area.  In my practice all lower lid filler injections are performed with a microcannula instead of a needle, limiting patient discomfort and bruising in this delicate area.  I suggest you follow up with a facial cosmetic surgeon specializing this type of treatment.  

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under Eye Hollows

Thank you for posting your case.  Restylane is a great option for this area, but there are other options as well.  I personally like to use Belotero because it is a finer filler that is better suited for the thin skin you have around your eyes. 

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under Eye Fillers

Restylane and Belotero are both great fillers for the under eye area.  This is an advanced technique and be certain to consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results.