How long does a typical breast lift and augmentation surgery take? I was quoted 4 hours and that seems very long. (photo)

Timing of surgery

The length of time surgery takes depends on the surgeon and what surgery is being done. The most important thing is having SAFE surgery and it is important to discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best, MMT

How long does a typical breast lift and augmentation surgery take? I was quoted 4 hours and that seems very long.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively.By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Length of surgery for breast lift with implants

Thanks for your question. I takes me about 3-1/2 hours to do augmentation and lift surgery. From the one picture you posted, it looks like you might be able to get the illusion of lift with implant alone. Oftentimes, an augmentation can give the illusion of a lift. After a minimum of 9 months, when the implant has settled, you'll have a better idea whether or not you think your breasts are perky enough. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

How long does a typical breast lift and augmentation surgery take?

Thank you for your question and photo!  I think that between 2-4 hours seems to be in line with an augmentation with mastopexy.  Sometimes surgeons quote you the longest possible time it may take so that you know the most you will have to pay.  Everyone is different.  The fastest time does not always mean the best or the other surgeons may have partners or assistants that help cut down the time.  The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your surgeon and trust that he will take the time it needs to try to get you the best result possible.  Good luck with your surgery!!

Dr. Tag

Breast lift and implant

Depending on the patient my time for augmentation/lifts is 2-3 hours. 4 hours is not really out of line. However, what really counts is quality not speed or lack of speed. If your surgeon has great results you see in his photos, you have confidence in him, and the price is reasonable then you have the right surgeon. Good luck.

Length of time for breast lift and augmentation

This is a reasonable time estimate for this procedure, and anything in the 2.5 hour to 4 hour range is typical.  There are a total of 4 operations happening in one time frame (implant on each side and lift on each side), and then everything has to be symmetrical at the end.  It also may depend on the type of lift, with some types being more extensive.  The final appearance is the most important consideration, even if that takes a little more time in the operating room.  Best wishes for a beautiful result!

Breast augmentation mastopexy

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift with implants.  Surgical times are highly variable.  The average time is 2-4 depending on the type of lift being performed.  Four hours is very reasonable for your case.  Far more important than the specific time duration of the case, is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift and augmentation

Every surgeon is a bit different.  It can take between 2-4 hours for many surgeons and depending upon the technique. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Surgery time for augmentation and mastopexy

Thanks for your question. The length of the surgery will be related to the type of lift you have. For  example a full lift will take longer than a periareolar lift. Implant placement is usually shorter. Often the day in the surgery center exceeds the length of the surgery itself. 

While there is such a thing as a surgery that is too long your quote is in the range.

When asked this question by my own patients I tell them that our team is efficient, but the surgery will take as long as needed to be happy with the result. I suspect your surgeon feel the same way.

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Surgery Time

Over the last 25 years, I have worked with MANY other surgeons both older and younger. Surgery times vary for a variety of reasons. Often times, very fast surgery occurs because an assistant is also suturing one breast while the surgeon sutures the other. Sometimes the surgeon is simply super focused and moves quickly. The overwhelming fact is that time, unless wildly excessive, has absolutely no direct influence on results or complications/risks. Four hours for a meticulous surgeon who works efficiently but unhurriedly who also is doing all the suturing themselves is well within the normal range of surgery time.